Sex- linked Information

Does anyone know if I would get sex links by crossing GLW hen to a BLRW rooster?
Did you look on the first post of the thread? BLRW is not listed in either red sex link or black sexlink. There must not be silver present or barring.

You might still get it though--It depends on what might be hiding in the gene pool.

I would not count on it though.

Did you look on the first post of the thread? BLRW is not listed in either red sex link or black sexlink. There must not be silver present or barring.

You might still get it though--It depends on what might be hiding in the gene pool.

I would not count on it though.

Yes I noticed that but on the Q & A part he posted with his thread a question was asked about BLRW ROO to SLW HEN and he answered back that yes it would be a sex link. I wondered if it worked the same with gold laced hen.

No. Gold laced Wyandotte has gold. Silver laced Wyandotte has silver. The silver hen will work for a red sex link with the right rooster, the gold hen will not.

OK thanks so much. I'm still reading and rereading the post and other thread working on understanding. Thanks again.

I see the question was already answered but I was going to say exactly what ridgerunner said, the SLW worked because for a red sex link the hen has to be silver and the male red and for black sex link, basically any roo with a barred female. And actually, I looked at the chart and the bold paragraph after it and it said that you can use a BLRW roo for a red sex link, you just need a hen that carries silver and if you reread the chart there are a lot of examples of breeds that carry silver that you could use if you have any of them. I'm sure there's more but it's a good starting point. I also noticed that GLW is listed as a possibility for a roo in one of the categories, if you had a GLW roo and silver hens for red sex link or barred hens for a black sex link. Almost any roo can be used for black sex links. Good luck with the project!

Back
Top Bottom