Sex- linked Information

Pics
Thank you for bringing that up, Arielle.  I have read on many hatchery sites that California Whites are a sex-link, but I can't find ANYWHERE that shows HOW they are sex-linked.  Is it through color? or feathering?  Does anyone know or have any pictures of male vs female chicks of this breed?

It was hard to find out how to sex them. The internet is full of general statements but sometimes details can be hard to find.

Feathersite said they are feather-sexed.

I don't have any photos.

Thank you for bringing that up, Arielle. I have read on many hatchery sites that California Whites are a sex-link, but I can't find ANYWHERE that shows HOW they are sex-linked. Is it through color? or feathering? Does anyone know or have any pictures of male vs female chicks of this breed?

They are sexed by wing feather growth with female being the ones with the longer more predominant feathers showing within hours after hatch. They are a hybrid-cross of a fast feathering white(production type) leghorn male crossed onto a slower feathering type female the breed, I don't know exactly, but its probly a secret sorta like ISA crosses are. Some or the hatcheries state they use California Greys as the opposing sex to the fast feathering male IDK for sure and then they also have a version called Austra-whites which is a cross betwixt a production leghorn and and Australorp type production bird, this could still make a wing feather sex-link cross as long as there is the feather growth rate is known of each of the parent stock.

To sum it up the same formula works for fast feathering being sex linked as color (gold/silver) does, the female chicks inherit the sires genes and male chicks inherit the dams genes.

Jeff

Can anyone tell the difference between red sex link & rhode island red chicks?!?!

Yes "real" Rhode Island Reds chicks are dark red almost brownish at hatch. Female red sex-links, production reds(hatchery RIRs) and New Hampshire chicks all look somewhat the same orangish/red and yellow. Very hard to distinguish the difference in between them by color, and that's usually what you'll get is a mixed bag of sorts when you order any of those three from the factories. Just syain' LOL

Jeff

To sum it up the same formula works for fast feathering being sex linked as color (gold/silver) does, the female chicks inherit the sires genes and male chicks inherit the dams genes.

Jeff

Technically the female inherits the sires sex-linked genes only and the male inherits both the dams and sires genes. If the dams genes are dominant and you can see the effects in the chick, you have a sex-link. In this case, slow feathering is dominant so you can feather sex the chick.

Technically the female inherits the sires sex-linked genes only and the male inherits both the dams and sires genes. If the dams genes are dominant and you can see the effects in the chick, you have a sex-link. In this case, slow feathering is dominant so you can feather sex the chick.

Ok I rephrase it then to what the post is referring then on the California-white cross the Male parent of the cross is a fast feathering production type white Leghorn; the female is a (supposedly California Grey which by the way are an auto sexing(cuckoo/barred) cross them-selves IDK?) normal feathering type. So therefore the chicks can be sexed at hatch by length of the wing feathers with the females being longer in length(from the sire) and the males will be shorter in length because they do not receive the fast feathering gene and are normal feathered like the dam.

Last edited:
HI
just looking thru things at BYC and found this post.
I was wondering some things as I have different types of chickens and I am sort of new to this and a little confused.

I have a gorgeous Blue Laced Red wyandotte rooster.
What is safe to breed him with and what will turn out. I have golden comets (he likes one in particular - LOL) I have silver laced wyandottes and a columbian wyandotte...I think i would pass offering him some of my other as they are mixed I believe so ???
I appreciate any help as I have a broody hen right now and I dont know what eggs to put under her. I dont want to hatch out something that I shouldnt (if that is even an issue).
Thank you!!! Cindy

Hi Cindy!
welcome-byc.gif

If you enjoy what you have and want to breed it, then do so and enjoy the offspring.

THe SLW are a possible choice for the hen coloring, but I"m not sure on the ROoster's base color. Many good posters here will help at some point. Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom