Sex- linked Information

Pics
I'll be honest and have not read all 38 pages. But here are the pics of my sex linked chicks. These are a Buff Orpington rooster and a Silver Duckwing Standard Old English Game Fowl hen cross. The result are the roosters are white with gray and the hens are buff with gray. These pics are of 3 week old chicks but are very easy to tell the sex by their color.

My boys are getting interested in breeding chickens, so one is handling the BO rooster over the silver laced wyandotte hens. Hoping to get that pen set up this weekend. So many combos that work!

That should give black sex link chicks that are black, not lavender.

The lavender gene that makes them lavender is recessive. It has to pair up to be seen. Those chicks will be split so the dominant "not-Lav" will control and the chicks will be black.

If you cross those chicks, some will be lav and some will even be barred lavender. But none will be in the first generation and only a small percentage will be in the second.

Lady, I don't know if they LAV!!! But you make me laugh!

I have a black Am split for lav, and he carries gold. THe lav is not expressed, is my understanding, until 2 copies of lav are present.

I found this and I'm confused. TIm if you are out there? Or any of you very expeieinced breeders?

THis is quoted from FEATHERSITE---

When California Gray roosters are put on White Leghorn hens, a sex-linked hybrid, the California White, is produced. This hybrid is popular in the northern midwest and Canada. It is a white bird with occasional black feathers and can be feather-sexed at hatching.

I read this to mean that the Cal Whites can be sexed at hatch, for the egg industry. Can someone please explain this.

I'm certainly not Tim and I personally don't have detailed knowledge of the California White egg industry. I'm sure you've read Tim's first post in this thread about what it takes for feather-sexing.

My take on this comment from Feathersite is that chickens bred for the egg industry are not just taken from random flocks but the bloodlines are carefully developed and maintained. Part of this development and maintenance for the parent flocks is to set the fast feathering and slow feathering genes up so the chicks can be feather-sexed.

California Grays may normally be fast-feathering and White Leghorns may normally be slow-feathering. I don't know that but it is certainly possible. I still would not trust the feather-sexing from random flocks of these birds to provide feather-sexable chicks without some knowledge of those particular parent flock genetics.

Thanks ridge runner. I didn't think of the feather sexing! If you look at the feathersite pictures, the female offspring are white and the males are barred with extra white. Califfornia grays also listed as california blacks, are a black barred chicken.

Thank you for bringing that up, Arielle. I have read on many hatchery sites that California Whites are a sex-link, but I can't find ANYWHERE that shows HOW they are sex-linked. Is it through color? or feathering? Does anyone know or have any pictures of male vs female chicks of this breed?

Back
Top Bottom