Sex- linked Information

Pics
As stated by the OP, "Any breeder can produce red sex linked chicks if they have a red male and silver female chicken that carry the correct genotype (genes a bird carries). The red male parent in the cross must carry two sex linked gold alleles (s+/s+) while the silver female must carry the silver allele (S/_w)"

"Additional male birds that can be used in a red-sex linked cross: Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. . . "

"Some crosses using silver females and gold males produce offspring that can not easily be separated into groups of male chicks or female chicks. It is important that the breeder choose the correct breeds to use in making a red sex linked cross.

As a general rule, do not use autosomal barred birds ( Campine, Fayoumi, etc) or spangled birds ( Appenzeller, Hamburg, etc.) and laced Polish ( laced tail and single lacing). These birds carry the birchen allele which will not produce the down colors needed in a red sex linked cross.

Questions and Answers

Q 1. Can a gold laced or blue laced red wyandotte rooster be crossed with a silver laced wyandotte female and produce red sex linked chicks?

A. 1. Yes, the chicks with buff on their faces are females and the chicks with white in their faces will be males. Both males and females will also have black patterns on their head and face which will hide some of the buff or white facial down. Silver laced wyandotte females should be included in group 2B in the Breeds to Cross table.
Wow..I cant believe I missed that! thank you for re-pointing that out for me!

I understand that the offspring of a white leghorn hen and a RIR roo wouldn't be considered sex-linked, but does anyone know if the offspring pullets would lay brown or white eggs? I'm assuming white since they wouldn't be sex-linked.

I understand that the offspring of a white leghorn hen and a RIR roo wouldn't be considered sex-linked, but does anyone know if the offspring pullets would lay brown or white eggs? I'm assuming white since they wouldn't be sex-linked.
They would be off-white or pale brown depending on how dark brown the rooster is carrying. I have a white leghorn/game hen and her eggs are offwhite, you almost can't tell until you put them next to a white egg.

This was what I found the most interesting, that Ameraucana and Auracana can be used to produce sex link offspring. Makes me wonder why I've not seen any sex linked EEs being offered for sale anywhere.
I know most people who are interested in sex-linked are looking for production layers with easily identifiable females, and EEs are not really known for being production layers. But for back yard enthusiasts who simply cannot keep a rooster and who like the idea of green eggs, sex linked EEs would be perfect.
It would also seem you could pretty much select for egg color too, unless I am mistaken. A Buff Ameraucana over a Rhode Island white would produce sex linked green layers, and that same Buff Amerauracan over a Columbian Leghorn would produce sex linked (light)blue layers?
For people like me who love a colorful basket and keep only a small backyard flock, sex linked Ameraucan crosses would be perfect. Someone needs to exploit this economic niche. I would, but my city won't allow roos...

If a chicken is not listed it does not work in a sex linked cross. If a bird is not listed, it does not work. When you write a recipe to make a cake you write how to make the cake- you do not write how not to make the cake. I listed birds that do work- but some work better than others. I would suggest that people not cross laced birds- their genotype will sometimes not work. Birds with secondary color patterns can cause problems.

If you want to produce sex linked birds you must have birds with the correct genotype.

The BLRW over a silver laced bird may or may not work. If their genotype is correct, the only place you may see white or buff is on the face. Depending on the genotype there may or may not be enough down color to see the difference.

Cross group 1 males with group 1 females- these crosses will work great with no problems.

Tim

I have been reading this thread off and on over and over ..I even have some genetics in my background..but Im still struggling...I would like to attempt to make some sex links but since not all breeds are listed...Im at a loss really...will someone who reeeally knows there breeds help me out if I list all the breeds I have or shortly will have and see if theres any matches? Pretty please?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
If a chicken is not listed it does not work in a sex linked cross. If a bird is not listed, it does not work. When you write a recipe to make a cake you write how to make the cake- you do not write how not to make the cake. I listed birds that do work- but some work better than others. I would suggest that people not cross laced birds- their genotype will sometimes not work. Birds with secondary color patterns can cause problems.

If you want to produce sex linked birds you must have birds with the correct genotype.

The BLRW over a silver laced bird may or may not work. If their genotype is correct, the only place you may see white or buff is on the face. Depending on the genotype there may or may not be enough down color to see the difference.

Cross group 1 males with group 1 females- these crosses will work great with no problems.

Tim

Quote:
Thank you Tim!

I have for a little while longer eggs they are black sex linked Olive Eggers...I have a black Ameracauna Rooster over Cuckoo Marans hens the boys have the spot at hatch and the girls do not. I also have a red sex link that is a Buckeye rooster over Delaware hens fun for me because those boys make good eating and I can quickly sell the chicks sexed.

This was what I found the most interesting, that Ameraucana and Auracana can be used to produce sex link offspring. Makes me wonder why I've not seen any sex linked EEs being offered for sale anywhere.
I know most people who are interested in sex-linked are looking for production layers with easily identifiable females, and EEs are not really known for being production layers. But for back yard enthusiasts who simply cannot keep a rooster and who like the idea of green eggs, sex linked EEs would be perfect.
It would also seem you could pretty much select for egg color too, unless I am mistaken. A Buff Ameraucana over a Rhode Island white would produce sex linked green layers, and that same Buff Amerauracan over a Columbian Leghorn would produce sex linked (light)blue layers?
For people like me who love a colorful basket and keep only a small backyard flock, sex linked Ameraucan crosses would be perfect. Someone needs to exploit this economic niche. I would, but my city won't allow roos...

Great information and well written.......I want to verify that I was under the correct assumption before I invested in a few birds. My thought was it to use Delaware hens and a Rhode Island Red rooster, Would that mix produce the correct X.
Thank you for your answer in advance.
Tom

Hey all I'm slowly reading through this thread again, but have a question, has anyone crossed a BO hen with a Delaware roo? if so did it make a sexlink or can I at least get an idea of what the chicks would like? I have 4 roos, and 16 hens and want to know what I need to add or do to get a few more sl chicks........??? My breeds listed below.
I have a wonderful Del, roo..hansom who is so sweet and not a bad specimen of the breed, and I have ordered some BO pullet chicks......... he is my main rooster in my Straight comb pen, so these girls will end up with him, so I want to figure out what the babies will look like............? anyone know the answer to that 1? Ty KIM
BTW great info on this thread..now all I have to do is make my brain soak up all this info and maybe by the time I'm 80 I'll actually get it........... hehe
My Roos
White Wyandotte
EE, splash I think he has a gray beard, with lots of red splashes over white, his tail is black and white.
SS
Delaware

Hens

WW
EE
SLW
WR
BR
BO
Delaware
SS
also have 3 BSL's from TSC
So if any of these would make a good cross, I would be very happy. to hear it............. or will I have to get another rooster........grrrrrrrrrrr
also wondering what kind of chick would come from a Del roo and BR hen? she seems to be hansoms favorite girl.......... poor peaches.....she is getting alot of unwanted attention these days.........LOL

TY much if anyone is still around from this thread................ Kim

Last edited:
Great information and well written.......I want to verify that I was under the correct assumption before I invested in a few birds.  My thought was it to use Delaware hens and a Rhode Island Red rooster,  Would that mix produce the correct X.
Thank you for your answer in advance.
Tom

It will work to make red sex links. The rooster has the gold and the Delaware has the silver.

You will not be able to tell with the chicks because you can't see the spot, but the male offspring will be barred and the female will not. I don't consider that black sex link because you can't see the spot, but the Delaware hen has the barring and the RIR rooster does not. That barring in the males will be visible in the tail and and hackle feathers. This rooster is a cross between a Speckeld Sussex rooster and Delaware hen. I'd expect your roosters to pretty much feather out this way.

Back
Top Bottom