Sex- linked Information

I have a barred frizzle hen and bantam white laced red cornish rooster. Would chicks be sex link?
I hatched out a black chick, that ended up being a barred cockerel. I have recently hatched out 2 white chicks that have a few black spots in their fluff. I don't know what sex they are yet. Would they be female? What color would they end up being?

You can have blue barred, buff barred, red barred, many different colors of barred chickens. The barring gene does not turn part of the feather black, it turns part of the feather white. Even solid white birds can be barred, you just can’t see it on white.

You can have blue barred, buff barred, red barred, many different colors of barred chickens. The barring gene does not turn part of the feather black, it turns part of the feather white. Even solid white birds can be barred, you just can’t see it on white.

Ok, makes sense now. Will the females still be a solid color? Or the the white laced red roo cause them to be patterned?
Also, does the frizzle gene get passed in a similar way? Both white chicks look like they'll be frizzled, the black chicks (that turned out barred) were smooth.

Last edited:
White laced Red Cornish are genetically supposed to be dominant white on black laced red. Your rooster must not be pure for the dominant white. dominant white turns most of what would have been black, white. So if this was pure WLRC over a pure Barred Rock you would have expected White Chicks with a few flecks of black. the boys would feather in with a few barred feathers and the girls with a few black feathers. Are you sure he is the father of the barred chick? Dominant white is not recommended for making sexlinks. You could breed a WLRC to Silver laced Wyandotte and get white laced yellowish males and white laced red girls. I have wanted to try that but have been thwarted. I don't know how obvious the sexes would be at hatch.

Hi. I put one of my beautiful Partridge welsummer roosters with my barred Plymouth rocks. When the chics hatched some were black and some were a golden brown with a brown stripe. Which are male and which are female? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom