Sex- linked Information

Is there any sex link cross that will work for a speckled sussex hen?

Would a black laced red wyandotte roo over silver laced wyandotte hens be sex linked?

THANKS!

Would a black laced red wyandotte roo over silver laced wyandotte hens be sex linked?

THANKS!

I don't think there's one for a speckled Sussex hen but you can use an SS roo for a red sexlink. Assuming you know that though since you asked for any with a hen?

I don't know if a black laced red would work but you can use the silver laced hen for a red sex link. I know blue laced red is listed as a potential roo for red sex link and aince blue doesn't breed true in poultry and you could get a black laced or splash when ordering blue laced red, I am assuming that you could also use the black laced red roo but I am not sure on that or if it work well or not. Maybe someone who has done it can comment.

If it doesn't work out perhaps you have another roo you can use???

For red sex link, a red roo with a silver hen works and for black sex link a barred hen with almost any roo.

So actually, going by those rules, I don't think there is any cross that would work with a speckled Sussex hen but you could use the roo for either cross. But I know that people have made auto sexing EEs so who knows.

But if you have any of the breeds on the charts on the first page maybe you could try using one of those!!

Good luck :)

THANKS!

Nope, only Speckled Sussex cocks could be used for a sex linked cross (which, by the way, make beautiful offspring - I did some SS X Silver Penciled Rock sex links last year and they are GORGEOUS!). SS hens are neither Silver nor Barred.

BLR over SLW should work for a RSL, not sure if they'd be sexable at hatch though. The cockerels would be silver (probably with red leakage) and the pullets would be a shade between Red and Gold, being heterozygous for Mahogany. All would be laced, of course.

Hello!
I have a Blue Partridge Brahma Rooster, and some Rhode Islans White and some silver paced hen's. If I crossed these, would it create a sex link?

Yes, the Silver Laced hens would make a red sex link. That rooster has gold, the hen silver, and you should easily be able to see the difference in yellow and reddish down.

The Rhode Island Whites are a maybe. If you carefully read Tim’s first post in this thread he has a warning about using solid white birds. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. You have to have silver in the hen to make a red sex link. You do not need silver to make a solid white bird. Not all solid white birds have silver.

Another issue is that you don’t know what might be hiding under that white even if the hen does have silver. It could easily be black, which means you would get black chicks. That happens a lot. You would not be able to see any difference in yellow or red down because there wouldn’t be any red or yellow down. If the white is hiding barring on a black base you might get black sex links. Even if the white is not hiding black there are some other genetic combinations that may mask the red and yellow down so you could not tell sex by looking at the down.

You can try with the RIW’s. It might work, it might not. But I suggest you hatch the eggs separately so you know which hens laid the eggs, at least the first time. That avoids the problem where you are not sure which hen laid the eggs so you cannot be sure about which chicks are sex links and which may not be.

Yes, the Silver Laced hens would make a red sex link. That rooster has gold, the hen silver, and you should easily be able to see the difference in yellow and reddish down.

The Rhode Island Whites are a maybe. If you carefully read Tim’s first post in this thread he has a warning about using solid white birds. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. You have to have silver in the hen to make a red sex link. You do not need silver to make a solid white bird. Not all solid white birds have silver.

Another issue is that you don’t know what might be hiding under that white even if the hen does have silver. It could easily be black, which means you would get black chicks. That happens a lot. You would not be able to see any difference in yellow or red down because there wouldn’t be any red or yellow down. If the white is hiding barring on a black base you might get black sex links. Even if the white is not hiding black there are some other genetic combinations that may mask the red and yellow down so you could not tell sex by looking at the down.

You can try with the RIW’s. It might work, it might not. But I suggest you hatch the eggs separately so you know which hens laid the eggs, at least the first time. That avoids the problem where you are not sure which hen laid the eggs so you cannot be sure about which chicks are sex links and which may not be.

THANK YOU!

Back
Top Bottom