Sex- linked Information

Soooo, a white Silkie over colored silkies will get varied colored offspring, right? I have white, blue,porcelain and a red Silkie hen.....no sex linking possible with silkies, right?

Soooo, a white Silkie over colored silkies will get varied colored offspring, right? I have white, blue,porcelain and a red Silkie hen.....no sex linking possible with silkies, right?
No sexlinking, and you shouldn't cross Blue/Splash birds with birds that have the Lavender gene (porcelain). Makes differentiating which bird is which coloring in subsequent generations, nearly impossible.
And that recessive white can be hiding just about anything.

No sexlinking, and you shouldn't cross Blue/Splash birds with birds that have the Lavender gene (porcelain). Makes differentiating which bird is which coloring in subsequent generations, nearly impossible.
And that recessive white can be hiding just about anything.

Oh no, the rooster is white and the hens are blue and porcelain. I don't plan on crossing out beyond the first mating. But I could wind up with a whole mess of colors, though....

Not with those colors, but if you get a cuckoo pullet and a black cockerel, the babies will be black sexlinks (males only will be cuckoo with a white headspot at hatch).

With silkies, I know skin color is sex linked when breeding to non silkie. Is it the hen or rooster who needs to be a silkie, and with the chicks is it pullets or cockerels who inherit the dark skin?
The gene that causes the black skin is sexlinked. I forgot about that. It's the rooster that must have the black skin, and only the female chicks will inherit it.

The gene that causes the black skin is sexlinked. I forgot about that. It's the rooster that must have the black skin, and only the female chicks will inherit it.

That's what I was thinking and hoping, we have a blue frizzle and a white frizzle silkie roos that we want to cross with our buff brahmas to make a frizzle with more the brahma type. My daughter really wants a frizzle brahma.

Hello again everyone! I'm planning to get my first chickens by March, and they'll be quail and partridge colours. I was wondering if I could cross a Partridge coloured rooster with a Quail coloured hen and get sex links. I was thinking the females would have some incomplete version of Quail and the males just Quail. Would this work?

Last edited:

Does this mean that the chicks would be sexable at hatch? And will outcrossing with smooth feathered breeds will yield frizzled if the rooster is a Silkie?

Does this mean that the chicks would be sexable at hatch? And will outcrossing with smooth feathered breeds will yield frizzled if the rooster is a Silkie?
Frizzle is a completely different gene from the silkie feather gene. Silkie feathering is a recessive gene. Frizzle is a dominant gene. The chicks will likely be sexable at hatching.

Back
Top Bottom