Sex- linked Information

@dheltzel
I see..

I'm sorry for all the weird and obvious questions, I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible about poultry before I go off and make a purchase.

So the chicks would just be whatever colour is inherited by the parents, and not a sex-link, correct?

@dheltzel
I see..

I'm sorry for all the weird and obvious questions, I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible about poultry before I go off and make a purchase.

So the chicks would just be whatever colour is inherited by the parents, and not a sex-link, correct?
In that cross, all the chicks would be silver (white), with some leakage of gold (red). Even the pullets would look like that males of the reverse cross.

Rhode Island Whites are not that common. Most people wanting to make their own sexlinks start with black sexlinks, using a Barred Rock pullet and a non-barred roo, like a RIR or Black Ameraucana.

@junebuggena
Ohhh I see alrighty. Sometimes I really do not read. Musta skimmed over it.
he.gif
xD

@dheltzel
Genetics are really confusing sometimes, eh? I'll need to tie my head around this sex-linked mumbo jumbo some other time.

Last edited:
True The male is usually a RIR or NHR and female RIW for a RSL. I had some White Wyandotte mixed with RIW and they were put in with a RIR male and I got BSL. I was told it was the Wyandotte in the mix that created the BSL.

That would be RSL -- BSL requires barring which none of female birds would have had.

I was surprised, I didn't expect it but they turned out as you would expect and the males were quite colorfull. I sold all of the birds.

Last edited:

The pullet in the foreground is a Brown Leghorn One of the Sex-Link males is behind her. This is one of the grow-out coops and pens.

Back
Top Bottom