Sex- linked Information

One more question. ..
If I used a cream legbar rooster over a delaware hen.. would that make a sexlink?
Delaware is silver based.. cream legbar roosters are supposed to carry barring but 1 gene?
Would the chicks be red sexlink or just barred chicks?
Legbar roosters should have two genes for barring. They should produce red sexlinks, with the Delaware hen. However, I have seen supposed Cream Legbars that weren't gold base color at all.

Legbar roosters should have two genes for barring. They should produce red sexlinks, with the Delaware hen. However, I have seen supposed Cream Legbars that weren't gold base color at all. 

So pick a legbar more gold color. ?
I thought they had only 1 gene.. and the hens had 2.. so the male chicks would have the head spot and the females dont... I must have that backwards. .lol

So pick a legbar more gold color. ?
I thought they had only 1 gene.. and the hens had 2.. so the male chicks would have the head spot and the females dont... I must have that backwards. .lol
Cream Legbars should look like brown Leghorns, but with the cream gene diluting the red to a yellow/gold and with barring.

And a female can never have two copies of the barring gene. Simply not a genetic possibility. They can only ever have one. Females can have head spots, it's not the most reliable method of sexing. The two copies that males have makes the head spots more visible, and it also makes their down, lighter in color.

I have a Barred Rock Rooster a Cuckoo Frizzle Rooster a New Hampshire and no barred/cuckoo hens. Is it true barring is sex linked unless you are breeding barred/cuckoo to barred/cuckoo and am I therefore correct in my assumption that any barred chicks that I hatch from my own eggs will be cockerels?

Thanks.

I have a Barred Rock Rooster a Cuckoo Frizzle Rooster a New Hampshire and no barred/cuckoo hens. Is it true barring is sex linked unless you are breeding barred/cuckoo to barred/cuckoo and am I therefore correct in my assumption that any barred chicks that I hatch from my own eggs will be cockerels?

Thanks.
For sexlinked barring, it's the hens that must be barred. A barred rooster can pass his barring genes to both male and female offspring. It's the hens that can only pass it to the male offspring.
You may get some red sexlinks from the New Hampshire rooster, if you have silver base color hens.

@junebuggena Thanks for your response. I am sorry I didn't ask my question clearly. What I need to know is this... Is the barred chick under my broody a cockerel..since I have 0 barred hens but do have a barred rooster?? I am not trying to make SLs with my barred boys and yes my NH boy gives me lovely SLs with my Delaware and Dorking girls
big_smile.png

@junebuggena Thanks for your response. I am sorry I didn't ask my question clearly. What I need to know is this... Is the barred chick under my broody a cockerel..since I have 0 barred hens but do have a barred rooster?? I am not trying to make SLs with my barred boys and yes my NH boy gives me lovely SLs with my Delaware and Dorking girls
big_smile.png
Read my reply carefully.
For sexlinked barring, it's the hens that must be barred. A barred rooster can pass his barring genes to both male and female offspring. It's the hens that can only pass it to the male offspring.
You may get some red sexlinks from the New Hampshire rooster, if you have silver base color hens.

June did answer the question since she said the hen would have to be the barred one. But to be as clear as possible, that chick might be a pullet, it might be a cockerel. Since the hen was not barred and the father was, you just do not know.

Back
Top Bottom