Sex- linked Information

This 10 day old chick is a black sex-link. The father is Sumatra and the mother is Cuckoo Marans.
Is this chick pullet or cockerel?
There is kind of spot on the head, but it's not as visible as I had in other black sex-links. The wings don't seem to have real barring, just the tips are lighter.
On the 2nd picture, the new coming feathers on the top of the wings seem to be completely black.

Blue%20chick2.jpg

Blue%20chick1.jpg

Blue%20chick.jpg

Last edited:
This 10 day old chick is a black sex-link. The father is Sumatra and the mother is Cuckoo Marans. Is this chick pullet or cockerel? There is kind of spot on the head, but it's not as visible as I had in other black sex-links. The wings don't seem to have real barring, just the tips are lighter. On the 2nd picture, the new coming feathers on the top of the wings seem to be completely black.
Blue%20chick2.jpg
Blue%20chick1.jpg
Blue%20chick.jpg
Male, the females should look like a black copper marans at hatch. This chick is too light. And the tips are barred.

Sumatra rooster was either blue or splash. The chick looked blue when hatched too.
Some of us tried blue sex link projects a few years ago, and were similarly frustrated with lack of distinct head spots on blue chicks. I put my project on hold but may come back to try again.....I like the concept a lot, but I had the same problem with not being about to be 100% sure about gender.

Hi. I was told that you can't use Polish to make red sexlinks. For example, Silver laced Polish hens with Red Leghorn. Is this true? If so, then why? Thanks.

From Tim's first post in this thread.....(bold was his, not mine)

As a general rule, do not use autosomal barred birds ( Campine, Fayoumi, etc) or spangled birds ( Appenzeller, Hamburg, etc.) and laced Polish ( laced tail and single lacing). These birds carry the birchen allele which will not produce the down colors needed in a red sex linked cross.

Back
Top Bottom