Sexing Barred Rock Chicks

Not yet, they are to young to sex
wink.png

I can sex all BR chicks at hatch with relative certainty. I've written this list so many times, but here goes:

Males: larger, splotchy headspot, lighter silvery/grayish color rather than black, no or little black down leg fronts

Females: headspot is more defined and smaller, down is very black, legs usually have dark wash down the front.

These, taken together, will give you the sex about 90% of the time. The other 10% aren't as clear and can fool you.

EDITED TO ADD: this is a BR cockerel, obvious from hatch.
DCP_6658.jpg

DCP_6777.jpg

Quote:
I had heard that too. I thought it was true until we found out we had two roos. I asked the people at the hatchery and they just laughed and said that they can't be sexed that way.

Not by leg color alone, no. I never say that. Always take the three traits together. The cockerel in the pic above has very little black. Some have none. I've never seen a cockerel start out with very black leg fronts.

If you follow speckledhen's advice you can sex pretty acurately. Mine are 3 weeks old and for sure 4 roos and 2 hens. Watch the development. The roos will lighten up almost to a silvery color before barring and the hens will stay dark.

Back
Top Bottom