sexing blue wheaten ameraucana by color?

Marme

Songster
May 20, 2016
So most of the research I've done on sexing blue wheaten ameraucanas has said that if they have a lot of darker feathering that means they are a cockerel, as opposed to the pullets who are lighter and less flashy. I know its early at 3 weeks, but do I most likely have a little cockerel here? So far from my straight run chicks its looking like I have 3 Roo's so far. The others I'll have to wait longer to find out =(

Attachments

• IMG_20190423_223231_362-2.jpg
    IMG_20190423_223231_362-2.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20190423_155243_601-1.jpg
    IMG_20190423_155243_601-1.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20190423_155309_435-1.jpg
    IMG_20190423_155309_435-1.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 171
Hi, yes they are a bit young, maybe wait one or two more weeks. But you cant always rely on colour because every chicken is different. The best thing is looking at the combs and wattles, if you have a better picture sideways and from the top the the combs it would be helpful. From your pictures they dont all seem like roos.
Hope this helped!

Hi, yes they are a bit young, maybe wait one or two more weeks. But you cant always rely on colour because every chicken is different. The best thing is looking at the combs and wattles, if you have a better picture sideways and from the top the the combs it would be helpful. From your pictures they dont all seem like roos.
Hope this helped!

Attachments

• IMG_20190423_232519_021.jpg
    IMG_20190423_232519_021.jpg
    662.8 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20190423_232532_439.jpg
    IMG_20190423_232532_439.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 160
Typically, far too young to sex. You would have to wait until its 6-8 weeks old... however, looking at the Ameraucana Breeder's Club site, it looks like you are correct on the colors.

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/gallery.html
Thank you, I was afraid so. The colors coming in are really pretty. I'll keeping watching but I don't think my odds are good for a pullet.

Just want to let you know, you have 100% a Wheaten cockerel (not Blue Wheaten). One nice thing about breeding Wheaten/Blue Wheaten/Splash Wheaten Ameraucanas is you can sex them by color at about 3weeks. The only color that might throw you for a loop is a Splash Wheaten cockerel. They can sometimes feather in pretty light at first.

Just want to let you know, you have 100% a Wheaten cockerel (not Blue Wheaten). One nice thing about breeding Wheaten/Blue Wheaten/Splash Wheaten Ameraucanas is you can sex them by color at about 3weeks. The only color that might throw you for a loop is a Splash Wheaten cockerel. They can sometimes feather in pretty light at first.
Based on what I've seen and researched I figured I had a cockerel. Which is a shame because he's so darn pretty! But how can you tell he's just wheaten and not blue wheaten? He was sold to me by a breeder as a blue wheaten, and appears to be getting the bluish feathering on his legs/chest now.

Based on what I've seen and researched I figured I had a cockerel. Which is a shame because he's so darn pretty! But how can you tell he's just wheaten and not blue wheaten? He was sold to me by a breeder as a blue wheaten, and appears to be getting the bluish feathering on his legs/chest now.

Hopefully I won’t butcher this explanation!
Blue Wheaten bred to Blue Wheaten does not breed 100% Blue Wheaten. Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, and Splash Wheaten breeding follow the same rules as Blue, Black, and Splash breeding. You just add wheaten to it. Except you don’t call them Black Wheaten just Wheaten
Here is a chart:
6453BDD9-C9E6-4985-9BB3-1CE369DEFE44.jpeg

The reason I say your little guy is a Wheaten and not a Blue Wheaten is the the feathers look black that are coming in on the body. Do you have more photos of him? Do you know how the breeders pens were set up for breeding? The only way to get a 100% Blue Wheaten hatch is by breeding Wheatens to Splash Wheatens. If they were breeding Blue Wheaten to Blue Wheaten they would get all 3 varieties in their hatch. I’ll try and find a young Wheaten and Blue Wheaten cockerel from a past hatch to show you.

Last edited:
Thank you! I didn't realize the genetics behind these guys. If you have some pictures of both that would be great. I'd love to see the difference.

Hopefully I won’t butcher this explanation!
Blue Wheaten bred to Blue Wheaten does not breed 100% Blue Wheaten. Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, and Splash Wheaten breeding follow the same rules Blue, Black, and Splash breeding. You just add wheaten to it. Except you don’t call them Black Wheaten just Wheaten
Here is a chart:
View attachment 1760129
The reason I say your little guy is a Wheaten and not a Blue Wheaten is the the feathers look black that are coming in on the body. Do you have more photos of him? Do you know how the breeders pens were set up for breeding? The only way to get a 100% Blue Wheaten hatch is by breeding Wheatens to Splash Wheatens. If they were breeding Blue Wheaten to Blue Wheaten they would get all 3 varieties in their hatch. I’ll try and find a young Wheaten and Blue Wheaten cockerel from a past hatch to show you.
Thank you! I didn't realize all the genetics behind these guys. If you have pictures of both I would love to see the difference!

Back
Top Bottom