Sexing Buff Orpingtons

I think the ones with long feathers are females. Because I have 4 BO chicks that are 6 weeks now. But when they were younger it seemed the males seem to grow slower with the feathers for some reason.

Quote:
We got the chicks to keep a rooster...looks like we'll have 6 to chose from!
big_smile.png

I got 3 (just hatched) splash orpington chicks from breeder. Two were very slow to feather with short wings and stubby tail feathers. One was very quick to feather with really long wings, back and tail feathers. You would think I had at least one pullet for sure. But this happened... I don't think "she" is a pullet at 7 weeks old.. Do you?

30473_chickens_082.jpg

here is a picture of "her" at 3 weeks:

30473_chickens_046.jpg

This is one of "her" brothers at 3 weeks. Note the lack of feathering and short tail.

30473_chickens_048.jpg

The breeder believes that they are all cockerels, because she has never had a pullet with this size of headgear at 7 weeks of age.
So, I'm pretty bummed. I guess fast feathering is just another hint not 100% no matter what breed.

I'm far from an expert either as this is my first year with chicks. I have 10 BO's and was told by the lady I bought them from that females will develop their wing/tail feathers before the cockerels. Out of my ten, 3 developed slower and now at seven and a half weeks it looks like I have three cockerels.

Have two buff orpingtons that hatched around July 24th. I was thinking they are girls. But I have witnessed chick 2 mounting the other but only in the evenings when they are penned for the night. There mother did abandon them at 4 weeks so I don't know if that has something to do with it. One hatched a couple days ahead of the other.

Chick 1 saddle feather neck feather

Chick 2

Both of the together

Have two buff orpingtons that hatched around July 24th. I was thinking they are girls. But I have witnessed chick 2 mounting the other but only in the evenings when they are penned for the night. There mother did abandon them at 4 weeks so I don't know if that has something to do with it. One hatched a couple days ahead of the other.

Chick 1 saddle feather neck feather

Chick 2

Both of the together

Those are both males.

Back
Top Bottom