Sexing Buff Orpingtons

Pics

Young MacDonald

Songster
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I have 10 day old Buff Orpington chicks. They were supposed to be all pullets, but I know the hatcheries can't sex them with 100% accuracy.

Three have developed tail feathers and one has not. I know that tail feather development is an early indicator of sex in Rhode Island Reds. Are Orpintons the same way?

Do you all think I have 3 pullets and 1 cockerel? Or are BO different from RIR?

thanks

I found a way to sex kind of fun but works 100% reliable! lol
You rely on a nice rooster like my sweet silkie, and put next to the chicks and to the girls he will "dance" and to the roos he will pick on their heads like "I dont like you". lol

Can anyone tell me the sex of these 5 week old lemon cuckoo Orpington? The tail feathers look different or is that just coincidence thanks!

I have several 5 week old orpington cockerels right now & they all have big pink combs. Totally different from yours! Looks like you got girls!

after waiting and waiting I had some chicken people come to visit and showed me a way to sex the chickens. I hold it firmly on the body and tip it slightly forward, if the tail feathers spread out like a peacock it's a hen. if they dont do anything its a roo. Finally, I believe. They say comb and wattle don't matter but I have 4 with no comb to speak of who are all hens and everyone with a comb, regardless of how red or how big, is a hen. good luck.

I'm not an expert. New to chicks this year.
I have 5 BO's Str. Run pics, 2 def. hens, 1 def. Roo,
started crowing at 12 weeks. 2 with larger combs, not
bright red and not crowing----but their tails are all over
the board. The roo has a tail like the 2 hens?? not very long.

For me BO's seem to be the very hardest to sex, I always seem to have to wait what seems like forever to figure it out.

AL

Back
Top Bottom