Sexing Buff Orpingtons

Can I jump in here too?

I got six BO chicks on February 26. The (shady) guy I got them from is confident that pullets will have feathers over their backs much earlier than cockerels, and has assured me mine are all pullets. A couple seem to be bullies though, and flap their wings at and go after some of the others. They're slightly different sizes, so I'm thinking they hatched out kind of staggered and some are older than others. Some have combs that have pinked up and stood up a little, but not huge. Is this back feather thing a load of hooey?

I don't have a great picture of them right now, they never hold still!

Can anyone tell me the sex of these 5 week old lemon cuckoo Orpington? The tail feathers look different or is that just coincidence thanks!

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me the sex of these 5 week old lemon cuckoo Orpington? The tail feathers look different or is that just coincidence thanks!

I have several 5 week old orpington cockerels right now & they all have big pink combs. Totally different from yours! Looks like you got girls!

I know it's still pretty early on to try and tell, but my daughters and I are trying to figure out the 3 buff orpingtons in our little mixed brood. We are new to chickens and these three were hatched at my daughter's school. The biggest feathered one with the longest tail (Marshmallow) was the first one to hatch, followed by the other 2 (Rainbow and Matilda) the following day. We are thinking that Rainbow and Matilda are going to be Roos and Marshmallow will be a hen. Any opinions would be great!

This picture was taken a few days ago. Marshmallow on the left, Matilda in middle and Rainbow on the right

Back
Top Bottom