Sexing Buff Orpingtons

11 weeks old BO. We are guessing cockerel. Thoughts?

Looks just like mine which we are 99% sure is a Cockerel. See how the tail feathers are starting to curl?

Here is Marshmallow at 7 weeks or so. My daughter's school hatched our 3 buff orpingtons and we brought them home so we are expecting to have at least one Roo out of all our chickens. Marshmallows siblings are smaller with barely any comb or wattle development yet so we are thinking this may be our Roo any thoughts?

I too am looking for answers. I have 12 strait run buff orpingtons. I know 1 is a rooster, he crows. I believe there is another rooster who, with 1 hen, shies away from the rest. Some have nothing on their head, 2 are really red, some have a comb but not very red. As for tail feathers, its good I'm not a rooster, I cant tell the difference, and these chicks are old enough that we are starting to see pullet eggs (not many). I need to cull the flock soon, there are too many birds for my space, but I don't want to cook hens after feed all this time.

Here is Marshmallow at 7 weeks or so. My daughter's school hatched our 3 buff orpingtons and we brought them home so we are expecting to have at least one Roo out of all our chickens. Marshmallows siblings are smaller with barely any comb or wattle development yet so we are thinking this may be our Roo any thoughts?

I'm new to this as well so we'll see what others have to say, but I have a 7 1/2 week old BO pullet (she's my avatar pic) to compare your photo to, so I'm fairly sure this is a roo. My pullet's comb is still very small and mostly yellow, and she has no wattles yet, just a tiny flush of pink.

Last edited:
I have 2 2-3 month old BO's that I think are hens but want to be sure. The lady that gave them to us wasn't sure on the age so I'm just guessing. A more accurate age would also be appreciated. Thanks!!
[/IMG]

after waiting and waiting I had some chicken people come to visit and showed me a way to sex the chickens. I hold it firmly on the body and tip it slightly forward, if the tail feathers spread out like a peacock it's a hen. if they dont do anything its a roo. Finally, I believe. They say comb and wattle don't matter but I have 4 with no comb to speak of who are all hens and everyone with a comb, regardless of how red or how big, is a hen. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom