Sexing quail help

Agapantha

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2018
FD77B7A8-965A-4817-9AAE-BD1A59709DFD.jpeg
C2614BAB-07C0-44EE-A8FF-0BCE606478BE.jpeg
I have two quail that are roughly a little over six weeks old. I am having difficulty sexing them. The feathers indicate that they are possibly male but the venting indicates they are female. I read over numerous sites that venting is only effective when they are certain varying ages. Some sites say it only works when they are in breeding season. What age can I sex my quail by venting? Or can you tell me by this photo what gender and type of quail I have? There’s been no crowing nor eggs yet. Thank you

Last edited:
The redness in their chest feathers makes me think males. I've had a few like that as well. As for vent sexing I've never had any luck unless they are sexually active. And even then I recently discovered one I had vent sexed as a male was in fact a female. Thankfully the three males she was in with were gentlemen. She wasn't even missing any head feathers despite living with them for ages. I only realised when I found a couple of eggs - she hadn't laid any until then so she must've been a bit stressed.

Back
Top Bottom