sexing salmon faverolles--still confused (update)

Thank you all for such wonderful pictures of your Faverolles chicks & adults. This is my first year of trying to put together some foundation roos & pullets for a flock & it has sure been a challenge in even getting some bantams. The pictures of chicks & colors of the different sexes sure clears up questions easily for me. Wish I had seen them earlier this year when looking every day for signs of, "is it a roo or is it a hen?" in my new chickies. Now I know that around 2 wks the roosters will start out with primarily dark feathers on the wings, chest & head, & the hens will start out with primarily the salmon/tan on wings with possibly some dark/blkish feathers; & that's pretty much that. They are such a sweet breed of chicken, gotta have more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Heck...I'm a fan of the movie!!!
big_smile.png

Salmon Faverolles, no way!?! Just bought 4 Bantam Salmon Faverolles pullets (4 mths old) from 2 states away in WA (thru my craigslist inquiry) that were delivered to me at their convenience. Didn't see pictures until the morning of receiving them & realized that they were different; so accepted them as soon-to-be layers & not to be breed. Sellers insisted they were purebred. They have 5 toes that are pink with heavy white scales on legs; but feather colors & dark speckled chests, little muffs, demeanor, longer tail feathers & body style (slender not "lumpy" in body shape) all not right (as seen in the picture with 2 darker pullets). Have been reading comments about some of the hatchery Standard sized Favs showing poor color, but don't know of any hatcheries that have Bantams. They don't look like my other Bantam Salmon (& Blue Salmon) Faverolles at all (which are beautiful with true characteristics) (as seen in the lighter single pullet picture). Ok, as I put this in black & white, the answer to my question is still clearly "no way." But, if anyone has seen purebred ones like this before, please let me know. At least I can use their xtra eggs when they start to lay this winter.
34342_dsc00981.jpg
34342_2009_tootsie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
chickenguysmom, the gal that sold these said that these could molt into better coloring also. I will be watching for that & will be happy & surprised when it happens. Additional doubt may also be due to lack of background info on part of seller, no pictures of parents, vague color discription of parents & lack of info given on where anything came from (I had to give up on that). Thank you for your input.

keesmom, it has been nice emailing with you & sharing info. Keep in touch from time to time.

My first ever faverolles chick I hatched (local pick up eggs and only hatched 1 chick!!) I noticed the wings were black at that young age and I got so upset, as I really wanted a girl. Then a week or so later it turned out to be a girl. So just wait it out, I was just lucky that I didn't sell it right away, she is now sitting paitently on eggs to hatch out in a week :)

I've recently hatched out two more faverolles eggs I bought, once again bad fertility, and both are 2 days old and both have very different wings. One has short feathers coming in and the other has long feathers. So I'm guessing it's both sexes, as I've found a lot of breeds the hens feather up quicker and cleaner than boys do.

My first ever faverolles chick I hatched (local pick up eggs and only hatched 1 chick!!) I noticed the wings were black at that young age and I got so upset, as I really wanted a girl. Then a week or so later it turned out to be a girl. So just wait it out, I was just lucky that I didn't sell it right away, she is now sitting paitently on eggs to hatch out in a week :)

I've recently hatched out two more faverolles eggs I bought, once again bad fertility, and both are 2 days old and both have very different wings. One has short feathers coming in and the other has long feathers. So I'm guessing it's both sexes, as I've found a lot of breeds the hens feather up quicker and cleaner than boys do.

Btw This thread is five years old so guessing she has a good idea by now lol

Back
Top Bottom