Sexing?

HenHoarder

Chirping
Aug 17, 2015
Wake Forest NC
I picked up two of these little jokers from the local feed store because I couldn't handle how adorable they were. They are about 4-5 months now. One has very large waddles, the other doesn't have any. I've heard their call is actually the best way to sex them... but I honestly can't tell much of a difference in the noises they make. They were yelling at each other here because they managed to separate themselves on opposite sides of the coops.... They like to stick together.

Any opinions on a good way to sex? Or do I just keep waiting on eggs?

0.jpg

I picked up two of these little jokers from the local feed store because I couldn't handle how adorable they were. They are about 4-5 months now. One has very large waddles, the other doesn't have any. I've heard their call is actually the best way to sex them... but I honestly can't tell much of a difference in the noises they make. They were yelling at each other here because they managed to separate themselves on opposite sides of the coops.... They like to stick together.

Any opinions on a good way to sex? Or do I just keep waiting on eggs?
From your video, I did not hear the buck wheat call of a female. Both hens and cocks can make the sound heard in your video. The size of the wattles can be an indicator of sex but is not a guarantee. It is likely that your guinea with the small tight wattles may be a hen but I have had cocks that could not be distinguished from hens based on their wattle size.

If you take one of the guineas and place it in an area where it cannot see the other one, it should start calling and if it is a hen, it should buck wheat if it is a hen.

If there is a hen in your little group, you will hear the buckwheat call next spring when breeding season arrives.

Good luck.

Thanks R2elk! I didn't think either of them were making a distinct female sound from watching other youtube posts, but wasn't sure if 4/5 months was too early to guess, or really how long I should keep on the lookout for eggs just in case!!

Their noise keeps the neighborhood's stray cat far away though... so as long as they keep eating bugs I'll keep them around either way. :)

These are 4 month old guineas. The light lavender in left front is female. The lavender and 2 browns are male. The males all have different shaped wattles but they are always bigger than the females. If one of your guineas has the tiny wattles at this age it's possible that it is female even if it doesn't make the buckwheat sound. Some girls are just quieter than others.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom