Shade vegetation in fire country

All Ball

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2013
El Sobrante, CA
Hi, all -

I've allowed some native bushes to sprout up here on this place I rent so the chickens have shade and cover.

However, I am learning about this "urban wildland interface" that I now live in, and thinking about how to garden and landscape in fire country. August was horrible, with all the lightning-caused fires across the state, and we likely have two more months until the rains start.

Fire-safe landscaping recommendations suggest no natural mulch, no bushes higher than 2 feet within 5 feet of the house, and only isolated groupings of bushes/trees as far as 30 feet from the house.

That would mean taking down a lot of useful shade, leaving the chickens to run like crazy in the hot sun. These bushes are also great for wild birds and bees. The wood chip mulch I've had for a few years gives the girls a lot of stuff to scratch around in.

How do other people in fire country provide enough shade and litter for the girls without being fire-dangerous?

Hi there. I think a lot of the guidelines are to keep the house from catching fire and don't consider animals or environmental concerns. If it was me I'd get some renters insurance and try to keep the area watered so the shrubs and such don't dry out. Realistically, if a fire comes your way in that area nothing you do will stop it.

I live in a high fire danger state, also. I also grew up in So. Cal. and watched it burn every summer. Here, I have mitigated the wild forest and scrub to provide a safe defensible space surrounding my buildings.

You can have shade as long as you eliminate ground and ladder fuel. Trim the shrubs up so there aren't any low branches to catch fire if a wild fire with heavy wind sends burning embers along the ground. Wood chips will burn, but the flame length is not very high. Still, if you can find a better mulch, not as flammable, it would be better. Straw, for example, holds moisture and decomposes much more quickly than bark mulch.

There are a lot of videos put out by the Forest Service that show wild land fire behavior. Watch some of them, and you will have a better idea of what to do about the vegetation to cut down the risk.

I'm in Northern California where there are several of the lightning complex fires. The biggest danger is when there is a lot of fuel near your house and in the crispy grasslands where the fire just sweeps across. I use evergreen bushes that are low water use. Right now there are native iris which the hens love to nestle in and a Mt Lemmon Marigold which will get about 6' high. Otherwise we use poly carbon sheets to shade them and in extreme fire danger I hang wet sheets over the coop. Best of luck. These fires are devastating.

Thanks everyone! I am near Pghelp and we are adjusting to living in a much more fire-dangerous place than I've been used to. I had always spent time slicing off or pulling the wild grass after its dropped wild oats for the chickens to eat. :) And taking down any dead wood, branches or leaves. It's only recently I am realizing you can't have a shady yard via bushes any more - just in isolated groupings of bushes, via tall trees with branches removed to about 11 feet with ladder veg removed (which doesn't give the chickens security), or low and moist vegetation. So much for being water-saving, using drought-tolerant natives, and providing plenty of food for birds/pollinators.

I have always been big on growing natives but need to think of something more moist than our local coyote brush. I do have also have a Mt Lemmon Marigold out front. I understand that citrus and deciduous irrigated trees such as stone fruit are supposed to be pretty fire-resistant.

Azygous, that is interesting that you find straw a less fire-danger mulch in your area. In our area, dry grass is a big problem, and I have avoided bringing in straw bales during the drought season, assuming it would be too easily ignited.

FYI, here is a resource on fire response of various mulches that influenced what I've done:
http://firesafesdcounty.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/The-Combustibility-of-Landscape-Mulches.pdf

I just found another mulch test that found some different results - this study was done in Arizona:
https://www.firesafemarin.org/images/documents/resources/az1440.pdf

Thanks all for your thoughts!

I have Mt Lemmon Marigold too and we are blessed with established coast live oak trees in our neighbor's yard. We use mulch both backyard and front. I find it holds the moisture in the ground so it's not as flammable as dry dead growth standing. The essential thing is to keep the areas near your house and outbuildings clear of flammable material. We keep the mulch away from the house but that's because we don't want the moisture seeping into the foundation. We have jade plants that are as old as the house. They're full of moisture and require next to no care. I know they're not native but they came with the house. The chickens love the shade. It's a tough call to choose plantings wisely. My chickens have been really stressed with the excessive heat and the unhealthy air quality but we're doing the best we can. We joke about the "bridal veils" draped over their run. On the dreadful days I make sure the sheets stay damp and set the hose to mist setting blowing into their run. I have a couple of waterbabies who will stand just under the mist blinking it out of their eyes. We've survived so far!

Attachments

• tmp-cam-1253087845.jpg
    tmp-cam-1253087845.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom