Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Where I live we have road-stands too in the fruit season. I live near to an area where they have a lot of fruit trees, like cherrys.
But the road-stand near to where I live imports most fruit from Italy. They sell cherry’s long before they ripen here and the price is even higher than the supermarkets price. Exploiting tourists-business.

Family tax: View attachment 3828313
Yes there's a farm stand a mile and a half away that right now is selling plants they bought started and grew out. They have local honey and later produce. They have some they grow like sweet corn but they bring up watermelon and fruit from other states. They say locally grown..
but when I asked about watermelon a month before mine would be ready , they said not grown by them. It was from out of state. Which is what I can get at the store regularly for half the price. I don't mind paying the grower more than the store.

Yes there's a farm stand a mile and a half away that right now is selling plants they bought started and grew out. They have local honey and later produce. They have some they grow like sweet corn but they bring up watermelon and fruit from other states. They say locally grown..
but when I asked about watermelon a month before mine would be ready , they said not grown by them. It was from out of state. Which is what I can get at the store regularly for half the price. I don't mind paying the grower more than the store.
I will triple check with my farm stands but I am 90% sure the ones near me are local - they are always only in season and generally have the same random sizes and shapes my own produce do. Definitely not grocery store type produce.
Most of mine are not 'manned' - they are on the road by the Farm entrance and you have to pay electronically - but I know the phone number of the lady whose stand I use most so I will call her and check.
The Farmer's market similarly is always only in-season and it moves to a smaller location for 6 months of the year and mostly has root veggies, kale and other cold season crops during the winter.

I will triple check with my farm stands but I am 90% sure the ones near me are local - they are always only in season and generally have the same random sizes and shapes my own produce do. Definitely not grocery store type produce.
Most of mine are not 'manned' - they are on the road by the Farm entrance and you have to pay electronically - but I know the phone number of the lady whose stand I use most so I will call her and check.
The Farmer's market similarly is always only in-season and it moves to a smaller location for 6 months of the year and mostly has root veggies, kale and other cold season crops during the winter.
The farms stands near my place are seasonal. There are none at present (Autumn). The oranges have been driven down from the Riverland, which is a few hours away. Not sure about the honey and eggs, but I assume they've at least been driven into the suburbs from a rural location.

Skeksis grandchildren:
received_480073667882268.jpeg

received_2819244094906176.jpeg

A bad day all round.
My youngest took her mother out to Wales for the aftenoon. They went in seperate cars. The youngest left her mother at the car park, with her three dogs and drove home. Mother couldn't find her car apparently and her phones battery ran out as she was talking to the youngest. We've had the police out looking for the mother who did eventually get a taxi back from Wales. She doesn't know where her car is.

Usually when I arrive at the allotments the geese start honking. This afternoon when I arrived it was quiet. I coudn't see the geese initially and once I unlocked their run I found them cowering in a corner and lengths of cane on the floor of their run. It seems that someone had been firing lengths of cane through the fence at the geese.:mad:

We are having a major problem with a member damaging other peoples plots and common ground. They've cut down some hawthorn saplings I recently planted along the allotment run and some raspberry bushes along one side.

The chickens are okay and we all got out for three hours but I was so busy trying to sort allotment drama out that I didn't get anything done on my plot
P5110737.JPG
P5110738.JPG

How beautiful 😍. Were they send to you or did you visite?

We are having a major problem with a member damaging other peoples plots and common ground.
Are you sure it’s a member who does this and not a not-member who lives nearby. Good luck with catching the 🤬

perhaps discretely set up a wildlife camera to catch the culprit?

Sorry to read about the family misadventure; sounds traumatic. I hope everybody's nerves are calm again now.
^^ ditto.

Back
Top Bottom