Shamo? Anyone.

That is good to hear, it is bad enough having a 9lb Marans rooster out there with a bad attitude, a full grown Shamo might be a little more intimidating.

I came across some Asil at the show this weekend. I couldn't resist bringing home a young trio. :) They are a rather odd looking color right now, I am not sure how they will end up.

I have more chicks due out today.

:)

Happy Easter!
Let's see a pic of those Asil and any info you have on them. To say a full grown Shamo is "intimidating" could be a gross understatement. However, they do mature very slow and should not be considered mature until they are 2 years old. Same with the Asil and any orientals. Asils and/or Asil grades can be very difficult to raise as they sometimes engage in mortal combat before they are fully feathered. They seem to take advantage of "a quick trip into town", or "I was only gone for a few minutes" type of thing to begin the kind of shinanigans that maime or take the lives of other chicks of the same breed. When you start reproducing them, be aware that it happens. Shamo aren't as bad, but as they mature, be aware that the 9lb marans rooster will be a likely target after they call his bluff and if they can get to each other. These breeds aren't for everyone. Gonna be interesting for ya. Have fun.........Pop

I will get some pictures of everything tomorrow. I was playing catch up today after being gone for the show.

I raised my first single stag Shamo up with the Marans and he was the most pleasant one out of all of them. They never fought and I had them together until they were 7 months old. He even has a black marans pullet that he is still inseparable from. Probably an exception to the Oriental rule with him. I never had trouble with him being aggressive towards others until after I had them separated for a while. I know there is no going back to the cockerel pen for him now, but he still comes right up to me to be groomed and handled.

I have noticed with my pair that when I do let them the hen is far more aggressive. She goes around to the penned up birds trying to pick fights through the cages. I keep netting on them to keep wild birds out so she hasn't been able to get to anyone. She did manage to stick her long neck through the crack in the gate and pull one hen that challenged her by the comb over to the opening. I had to pull her off and put a board over it because she was not going to quit. I could see her doing some harm even to another Shamo hen if I tried to introduce one.

The male is more curious with the surroundings in the barn. He still seems a little goofy like a big chick.

The Asil are blue based partridge or wheaten looking. The Game color names are different than what I am used to so I wouldn't know exactly what they are yet. They made me think of the Blue Dragon ones I have seen. I got such a good deal on them I am going to meet the guy to get a couple more in May. Plus my 8yr old daughter that likes to show with me just fell in love with the rooster. She carried him around while I got his cage ready. I guess that means I better get to building another pen :)

I'm getting a real kick out of following this story. Your Shamo stag sounds perfectly normal, but you have to realize that his behavior is going to change and it could be any time from now on. they truly are "big puddings" until they turn on, then they will challenge any other bird on your yard. Orientals of any breed must be kept apart after a certain age and that age depends on bloodline. Building pens (plural), is a great idea. The females all try to dominate also and your pullet is typical. If she were introduced to an established flock, she would be top dog in short order. that's just the way it works.
The color you describe on your Asils is called "blue". If the trio is related, you possibly can inbreed for up to about 5-6 generations before adding outside blood. If you do get more Asils, plan on a separate pen for them. Keep up the good work........Pop

I figured as much with the stag he is younger than my first one by about 3 months. The first one will not tolerate others anymore, I expect the second to follow suit as well.

I hope I don't offend by putting Asil photos on the shamo thread ;0)

Here they are. I like the stag, I think he is nicely built and he has nice eye color and I like his comb but then again I do not know alot about them yet. I know for certain he is not a social bird. When I was trying to get his picture he got away, He battled the Tom Turkey, the two small dogs and even took on the lab. All the other birds ran when they saw him working over the 40lb Tom AND the dogs!

The chicks are kind of hard to tell so much about but I am considering just keeping one of the pullets because I think the other two have narrow looking heads for me. Tell me what you think. Sorry I should have edited these but I need to make dinner for my kids :)

This is the one I like the most.

I think her head looks narrow.

The stag looks a lot older than the pullets. Nice posture and plumage. Hard to really tell about the eye color, but They should be white, or pearl. Maybe they are, but they aren't red, which is a good thing. All in all, the guy looks like a good find. The pullets don't really look related, either to him, or to each other. Any word on that? If it were me, I would pen the girls separately, after they start laying, and breed him to both by moving him from one to the other weekly. Ya never know which one would throw the best offspring. The head does look narrow on the one, but that could change in her chicks. I think you have a good start. Could I ask the name of the breeder and how much? I'm not into anything but my Rampuris, but I am familiar with several breeders. Just curious and if you prefer, a pm might be appropriate. Thanks........Pop

The stag is the father to all of them I believe. He had him in with black and bb red hens.
I can see that the second pullet has an odd color behind her, I am not sure what but you can see she has a brownish cast to her blue.

His eyes are a bright orange with a pearl center. I can see that he has the ability to make solid pearl with the right hen.

I might just keep the one since he is bringing more form me to choose from in May.

Ok so I was real excited to see these chicks out today. 4 more OShamo these are the most fertile birds I have ever set eggs from.

I can see a definite difference in this one from the others, it is is even brownish in the thighs.

Sorry the photo is inside the incubator so the light isn't too good.

Back
Top Bottom