Shamo? Anyone.

FrozenChef

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Wausau
I would like to find out more about the breed Shamo. what is its pros and cons? Is a hard breed to raise? stuff like that.

I just want some as pets...would be hard put to eat them. LOL Do you sell sexed shamos? I want to get some after the spring but I don't hatch and thought about getting someone to hatch some for me but I don't want to take a chance on getting too many roos and having to cull. Not too good at that! Once the get old enough to be sexed they already have names and are pets! I have a good place picked out just have to start building...

IMO Shamo's are not a breed for beginners. Mine will start fighting at 3 weeks and there is usually very dire consequences. The males and females do not always get along either. I introduce my matings very slowly through a cage within a cage so that they become used to each other before they can physically touch each other. They are very cool birds though and with the correct housing, experience and management they can be easy to raise.

Generally they love people and like to be held. They are very noble birds.

Walt

Pair of Darks
66947_dark_shamo_pr.jpg

Pair of Blacks
66947_shamo_post.jpg

Black Bantams
66947_shamo_bantams.jpg

Older black
66947_shamo22.jpg

Baby Mottled
66947_spangled_shamo.jpg

Quote:
LOVE your mottled and black!
thumbsup.gif
Question is - Mottling was originally not a Shamo color, was it obtained from Asils, Thais, or Brazilians? I believe barring was from Brazilians. . . But I've no certainty at all.

Well, looks like I'll finally be suiting up my only stag for show pretty soon, despite his non-recognized color. I really hope that sometime in the future I'll meet another Shamo owner/breeder who's not several states away. But, aside from that, local or not, I'm definitely going to get some more pullets. Getting a tad tired of having just a pair, but now certainly isn't the time to find any others around. . .

Absolutely love the Silver posted earlier too. Very striking color, fits the Shamo well.

ETA: Since everyone is showing off photos. . .

5404994941_8e07b1278c.jpg

5405016127_c6ebb3f55f.jpg

5405616858_887aa85601.jpg

5405615604_f94af71a65.jpg

5405009513_0c8b0b5bb0.jpg

Last edited:

Cuckoo splash Jap shamo stag @ 14 months old and 12lb 'fit' and just over 35 and a half inches tall from my large line.

Last edited:
I met some top gamefowl fellas at The World Championship Derby in Oklahoma. Some of them told me that no real Japanese shamo can be found in the states now, just a few birds in Florida from a imported german exhibition bloodline these days. Like I said just saying what I see no offense meant - I to know my birds. :)

These are from Julia in Great Britain...they are the real deal. Who did you talk to? Carl? Serious breeders of O Shamo's know these birds and this line and can recognize them from pictures. I raise Asils too and there is nothing about these birds that look like Asils and I don't know how anyone can weigh birds based on an online picture. How long have you been raising orientals?

Walt.

I just started hatching off my OShamo, so far I have hatched two chicks, separately, both appeared healthy the roo was about 3 weeks old when I found him dead and the little pullet died about the end of the second week. NO signs of illness and they seemed to be eating and drinking fine.

The parents are well fed, clean and healthy, the eggs are clean when set. I have hatched and raised thousands of chicks over the years, so I know what I am doing as far as that goes.

Are these very hard to raise? Do I need to do anything special other than fresh food and water? I feed 20% non-medicated and use wire bottom brooders that are temperature controlled by thermostat.

The only thing I can think could attribute to this is that the breeding pair is young. I was told that they are abut 8 months old. I waited until she had laid 10 or 12 eggs before I set the first and the little male hatched from one of those. The pullet was a single egg that I set with some bantam eggs.

I was told by one breeder to give them L&S or Denagard the first three days after hatch. I don't like to medicate unless the bird is sick but I will do it for these if I need to.

Thanks for any help. I do not want to loose anymore. I have four looking good to hatch next week.

-Nicol
Nicol, I have to preface with the fact that I hen hatch all my fowl. I don't see anything wrong with what you did, as you explain it. A couple tweaks that may help, I would try a lower protein chick feed as orientals were developed and bred on low protein feed, like rice and such, but that in itself should not have caused the demise of your chicks. The possibility that the breeders were too young should also make no difference. I don't medicate without reason either, but if weather conditions warrant, I will mix a little Red Cell in their water to make it look like weak tea. Your problem is a mystery. If I were you, I would try to hatch every egg layed. Crazy things happen and it seems to be a rule that your best, or most promising will die or be eaten by predators. Good luck to you.......Pop

Back
Top Bottom