Shamo? Anyone.

I just want some as pets...would be hard put to eat them. LOL Do you sell sexed shamos? I want to get some after the spring but I don't hatch and thought about getting someone to hatch some for me but I don't want to take a chance on getting too many roos and having to cull. Not too good at that! Once the get old enough to be sexed they already have names and are pets! I have a good place picked out just have to start building...

IMO Shamo's are not a breed for beginners. Mine will start fighting at 3 weeks and there is usually very dire consequences. The males and females do not always get along either. I introduce my matings very slowly through a cage within a cage so that they become used to each other before they can physically touch each other. They are very cool birds though and with the correct housing, experience and management they can be easy to raise.

Generally they love people and like to be held. They are very noble birds.

Walt

Pair of Darks
66947_dark_shamo_pr.jpg

Pair of Blacks
66947_shamo_post.jpg

Black Bantams
66947_shamo_bantams.jpg

Older black
66947_shamo22.jpg

Baby Mottled
66947_spangled_shamo.jpg

I saw just a few Shamos at the Newnan GA show. They are very under represented lol. I took some pics because I was impressed with thier size. They sure are taller than I thought. Dh really liked them.
This guy had a long cage so I took one of the card separately because he was staying on the other side of his cage.
IMGP1009.jpg

IMGP1008.jpg

IMGP1007.jpg

Another one:
IMGP1005.jpg

IMGP1004.jpg

I hatched two Shamos pullets last summer. I live in the northeast and I lost one and the other is coming close to losing a foot from frostbite. She will, at the very least, lose a toe. I had to start bringing her into the house at night. Granted this has been a brutal winter even for here with endless nights in the single digits. They do not have enough feathers to keep themselves warm let alone cover their feet with at night

I am hoping being here in North Florida they will do well. I am more worried really about the heat and humidity but the area I will have for them is under river birch trees so they will be well shaded.
sharon

I have a pair of Bantam Shamo/Bantam Aseel crosses I would consider selling. The cock weighs 4.5 lbs, and the hen 3.5lbs. They are blue reds with red lacing on the blue of the breast....it is a 2 year old pair, and the hen is laying. Text if interested...I bought them believing they were all Shamo, found otu they werent...

Last edited:
Must say that they can be testy and if kept with a mixed flock will usually rule the rust. My Shamos primarily stay in a part of the yard with other games. Breeding peens and free ranging broodies with chicks. It is not unusual for two free ranging hens to get into it and need to be separated so things can cool off. But I find this common to most games (good ones) once things get started there is no backing down. I find the extra considerations associated with them to be well worth it love my Shamo.

44626_dsc04868.jpg
img]

44626_dsc04599.jpg
g]

44626_dsc04535.jpg
mg]

44626_dsc04498.jpg
img]

Pride and Joy,
Gorgeous birds. I intend to have my shamo separated from my other birds and pens. I am so fascinated by these and can't wait to find me some. I am willing to put in the effort and time to do it right. Do you know of any sources where I can read more about the care and feeding of them? Especially there requirements for food?
sharon

Back
Top Bottom