Shamo? Anyone.

Walt bud, my father passed away near 20 years ago aged 86. Yes he did accomplish a lot and you and others would have learnt a fair bit from him. I know the strain keeling holds from Japan today ( a proven strictly exhibition strain ) and I remember to this day when she got her first pair from us in 89 and then became the 'shamolady', but there are a few more people in the UK and europe who hold direct Japanese imports but alas they are not show breeders so don't live in or crave the limelight. And I know Werner in person as spoken to him at Cologne... I to have been around for a while and third generation into gamefowl and know little else, and bred true shamos before most game men that are well known knew what a shamo indeed was but am always learning. I was told about RP when I was in OK visiting gamefowl pals across your side of the pond. It is good to extend ones horizons. As for weights, an oz or several is indeed impossible to tell, but to exagerate by a couple of lb's here or there is obvious. Just like it tis obvious to tell if a fowl by looking is full of gut fat without handling the gamecock. It has been interesting to debate with you.

Are you in GB? Do you recognize the Shamo I posted in my last post?

Walt

Walt Bud, I am indeed in Great Britain. And it has been nice warm sunny weather here in england.

I just started hatching off my OShamo, so far I have hatched two chicks, separately, both appeared healthy the roo was about 3 weeks old when I found him dead and the little pullet died about the end of the second week. NO signs of illness and they seemed to be eating and drinking fine.

The parents are well fed, clean and healthy, the eggs are clean when set. I have hatched and raised thousands of chicks over the years, so I know what I am doing as far as that goes.

Are these very hard to raise? Do I need to do anything special other than fresh food and water? I feed 20% non-medicated and use wire bottom brooders that are temperature controlled by thermostat.

The only thing I can think could attribute to this is that the breeding pair is young. I was told that they are abut 8 months old. I waited until she had laid 10 or 12 eggs before I set the first and the little male hatched from one of those. The pullet was a single egg that I set with some bantam eggs.

I was told by one breeder to give them L&S or Denagard the first three days after hatch. I don't like to medicate unless the bird is sick but I will do it for these if I need to.

Thanks for any help. I do not want to loose anymore. I have four looking good to hatch next week.

-Nicol

Last edited:
I just started hatching off my OShamo, so far I have hatched two chicks, separately, both appeared healthy the roo was about 3 weeks old when I found him dead and the little pullet died about the end of the second week. NO signs of illness and they seemed to be eating and drinking fine.

The parents are well fed, clean and healthy, the eggs are clean when set. I have hatched and raised thousands of chicks over the years, so I know what I am doing as far as that goes.

Are these very hard to raise? Do I need to do anything special other than fresh food and water? I feed 20% non-medicated and use wire bottom brooders that are temperature controlled by thermostat.

The only thing I can think could attribute to this is that the breeding pair is young. I was told that they are abut 8 months old. I waited until she had laid 10 or 12 eggs before I set the first and the little male hatched from one of those. The pullet was a single egg that I set with some bantam eggs.

I was told by one breeder to give them L&S or Denagard the first three days after hatch. I don't like to medicate unless the bird is sick but I will do it for these if I need to.

Thanks for any help. I do not want to loose anymore. I have four looking good to hatch next week.

-Nicol
Nicol, I have to preface with the fact that I hen hatch all my fowl. I don't see anything wrong with what you did, as you explain it. A couple tweaks that may help, I would try a lower protein chick feed as orientals were developed and bred on low protein feed, like rice and such, but that in itself should not have caused the demise of your chicks. The possibility that the breeders were too young should also make no difference. I don't medicate without reason either, but if weather conditions warrant, I will mix a little Red Cell in their water to make it look like weak tea. Your problem is a mystery. If I were you, I would try to hatch every egg layed. Crazy things happen and it seems to be a rule that your best, or most promising will die or be eaten by predators. Good luck to you.......Pop

Thank you very much.

I will keep trying and I will cut the starter with scratch to lessen the protein. I never thought about it being too much protein I thought maybe too little. I use red cell with my adults but I haven't with chicks before. I usually give them raw honey instead. These two just seemed fine until I found them dead.

I am very anxious to raise a few up, they really fascinate me.

My hen is a very good layer so I have been sitting 4-5 a week. Maybe if I can get two or more out at once they will be happier chicks.

-Nicol

Last edited:
wow, a bit of controversy going on here on this thread from 2012. we all know GB and Euro have better type Shamo than most US breeders have here. Regardless there are still some excellent breeders here in the US. Each breeding to what they view as important in the standard. I am very serious about my Shamo and have the best intentions to breeding them true to the Euro and Asian standard which I prefer over the US standard. My Shamo are game, they have type. I am working on tail set on some color lines. If you are interested I have a facebook page Fowl Mood Farm. You can see pics, updates on growing birds or holdbacks and anything I may be selling.

Back
Top Bottom