Share your chicken saddle experience

Stefrrr

Songster
May 25, 2020
Olympia, Washington
Today I’m making six (!) chicken saddles for my flock. I’ve found a few how-tos and patterns, and I have a few questions:
what difference does the shape make? Some of them have little extended curved area at the corners. Does that help keep is smooth for the wings or something? It seems like it’d be better to have it longer on the middle to cover the worst of it.
Should I make different sizes for my Easter eggers and Cuckoo Marans?
Is a thicker or thinner fabric better?
Any advantage to using fusible lining as some patterns recommend?
I have some heavy denim, so I was thinking about using that with this pattern: https://weallsew.com/how-to-make-a-chicken-apron-or-hen-saddle/

Well, I made five. The first one got all messed up because the interface was sticky and caught on the foot. So I left the paper on the other until I turned them inside out and was able to make five successfully. I’ll try these out and see how they work.
CE84FB03-FBB4-4A61-9E69-F9DD2B4D2676.jpeg

Those ones didn’t work well because the top part was too wide. And the interface was too thick. So I made more with cutting assistance from my spouse before bed and got them on the three worst hens. I added another inch to the elastic and I shouldn’t have. I’ll tie a tiny knot in it tomorrow to shorten it a little.
The brown gingham is the first shape. The teal ones are the new ones. They’re ok except the elastic is too long.
3228BC57-4216-48A8-999C-E6544A78CF20.jpeg
21ABEC8F-C266-41D8-91C4-533CFB5CC215.jpeg
AD2E3F92-20C9-41D9-B36F-82884AB5052A.jpeg

I made some out of an old pair of leggins. My poor girl has been without feathers for months now. I even moved her from the rooster i suspected to have done it, but she hasnt grown them back yet. The leggings are the fuzzy kind inside, but thin enough to dry out quick if they get wet.

I just cut the leg to length for her body. Then cut one side shorter to be the strap for her belly, the two slits for her wings. Its one peice, no sewing and fits perfect.its stretchy too, so getting it on is a breeze. I actually think she loves it, she doesnt fight me putting it on or taking it off to wash it.

Attachments

• 20210321_143030_HDR.jpg
    20210321_143030_HDR.jpg
    965.7 KB · Views: 50
Those ones didn’t work well because the top part was too wide. And the interface was too thick. So I made more with cutting assistance from my spouse before bed and got them on the three worst hens. I added another inch to the elastic and I shouldn’t have. I’ll tie a tiny knot in it tomorrow to shorten it a little.
The brown gingham is the first shape. The teal ones are the new ones. They’re ok except the elastic is too long.
View attachment 2634171View attachment 2634172View attachment 2634173
These are reallycute! I wish i could sew lol

A tough but breathable seems best fabric is best. Something that drys quickly and won’t cause overheating but still stands up to rooster claws. Smaller hens may need a slightly smaller design. Bigger hens will need a slightly bigger one. I used pieces of fabric to make ties instead of elastic since the fabric was cheaper and the elastic really seemed to bother my hens.

Would you say that chickens are comfortable with the elastics overall? Are thicker elastics better?

I made some out of an old pair of leggins. My poor girl has been without feathers for months now. I even moved her from the rooster i suspected to have done it, but she hasnt grown them back yet. The leggings are the fuzzy kind inside, but thin enough to dry out quick if they get wet.

I just cut the leg to length for her body. Then cut one side shorter to be the strap for her belly, the two slits for her wings. Its one peice, no sewing and fits perfect.its stretchy too, so getting it on is a breeze. I actually think she loves it, she doesnt fight me putting it on or taking it off to wash it.
Like this idea do you have a pic of it off the hen? My poor silkie is thread bare from Pangoo Rooster-Brat...

Back
Top Bottom