Share your pictures of Dust/Dirt Baths

RMo2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Ohio
I have to crack up every time one of our chickens takes a dirt bath. Mike found the dirt we used to fill a hole in our yard, and he wasn't sharing with anyone!

Share your pictures or videos of your chickens taking their baths
smile.png

Last edited:
The wood i used were scrap 4 X 4's. I just put them down in a square and put a second set on top. They all LOVE to be in it together. I think they would rather be there together. Gives them a 'community' bath. If the peat and sand get to wet or yeuchy I just shovel it out and use it elsewhere. I like this better than when I used the totes because they just ended up perching on the sides and dumped them over constantly. The 4 X 4's allowed them a nice wide place to perch on and didnt fall over when they were on it. Because they are not staked into the ground I can move it anytime too. I used to use just the peat, but it is dusty. THey like that better than when mixed with sand, but i like to add the sand. It's about a 50% mix. I put in some DE once in awhile too.

In summer I just freeze water bottles and dig them in to the peat as well. It stays frozen all day for them. They love to get next to it when it's hot. The peat seems to insulate the ice and keep it nice and cool.

Good luck!

Here's what I have to contribute..

This is "Georgina" (yes, that famous chicken who almost fooled us into thinking she was a roo). She was a chick in these pictures, about two weeks old, I think.

She obviously thought this towel was the chicken spa. Is this what they call a "Turkish bath?"
lau.gif

for some reason the peat acts like a waterproof rain coat most of the time.It is only the top inch or two that really gets wet in a normal rain. If we get an all day soaker it does get wet. I will just dig my hands into it and turn it over and in a day or so it dries out nicely. It does dry out quickly believe it or not.

In the winter it freezes and get drenched pretty bad. That is why i went to the turtle kiddie pool in the winters. I can put the top on for most of the time or when i know its going to snow a foot. Next day or later when the sun is out I just take the top off and let them have at it!

Cost wise, realistically I end up buying 3 things of peat moss and 6 small bags of contractor sand a year. So, about $24.00 a year.BUT I also do not have to buy potting soil in the spring because I use the left overs from thier bath. It's worth that in chicken TV time to me.

I know, I know..... They are just spoiled brats.
tongue.png

Last edited:
control
Diatomite is used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties.[8] The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.[9] Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans, with questionable efficacy.[10][11] It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate cockroach and flea infestations.[citation needed][12][13] This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage.[14] It has also been used to control bedbug infestations

I know I kpow...this thread is about dust baths so why get so literal.(me) ..boring but i was curious and found this. think wikipedia ;

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, mild abrasive, mechanical insecticide, absorbent for liquids, matting agent for coatings, reinforcing filler in plastics and rubber, anti-block in plastic films, porous support for chemical catalysts, cat litter, activator in blood clotting studies, and a stabilizing component of dynamite. As it is heat-resistant, it can also be used as a thermal insulator.
and heres HOW it works...and then im done .SORRY!!!

control
Diatomite is used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties.[8] The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.[9] Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans, with questionable efficacy.[10][11] It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate cockroach and flea infestations.[citation needed][12][13] This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage.[14] It has also been used to control bedbug infestations

Back
Top Bottom