Sharing our "reclaimed" coop

ash_en_em

Songster
5 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Northeast Ohio
Every piece of wood (except the ply wood) was reclaimed wood. Even the roofing material was free and "scrap roofing". When we first got our chickens, we bought a prefab that claimed to house 6-8 and barely held our 5 Australorps. We immediately began construction.

20180706_162019.jpg

The new coop is 7'x4', 4' tall on the back wall, and 5' tall on the front wall. The floor is 2 pallets, framed with 2x4's, a sheet of ply wood on top with leftover linoleum flooring to cover the ply wood. It sits almost 2' off the ground to allow for covered run space, and a 4' run uncovered off the front. The door on the side allows for easy cleaning of my poop board, and the door with chicken wire is my main entry to the coop for feeder and waterer access.

20180706_162030.jpg

This is the "back" of the coop. A piece of old fence wood prevents heavy rains from blowing inside. The two best boxes sit off the back of the coop, and the angled side opens upward and latches beneath.
20180706_162050.jpg
20180706_162041.jpg

The door for our 5 Australorps to come in and out of during the day is a drawbridge style, which latches closed at the top. Or thought was it would be harder for country preditors to get into.

20180706_162102.jpg

A view of inside the run with dustbath, and extra feeder and waterer for if we're away, or hot days. I will post updated pictures of the inside tomorrow. I just tried to upload a panoramic I took off the inside and it said "error: file too large".

For now, here it is without bedding, feeder and waterer, and without the updated roost.
20180617_161452.jpg

Of course, here is the flock enjoying the less hot weather today!

20180706_162526.jpg

If you guys have questions or suggestions, please post them!

Thanks for reading!

Edit: I forgot to mention this cost only $50 more than what the prefab cost! Screws, sheet roof insulation, chicken wire, ply wood, and corner fixtures for added support are all that was purchased. Advice to anyone thinking of buying a coop, just find materials to reuse and make a better one than what you're thinking of buying!

Last edited:
Nice job on the build. The only thing I would change is all the chicken wire. Raccoons and other predators can and will rip it apart and get to your chickens. It may not ever happen but it could, just a word of caution. Half inch hardware cloth would be a better option to keep just about everything out or you could use 1 x 2 welded wire, to keep the bigger ones out. If you decide to change the wire out, check amazon and walmart.com, they usually have better prices than big box stores.

Back
Top Bottom