She is on her death bed!!!!!!! Please help. I just discovered it is some kind of bugs but, I don't k

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
Okay so I was checking through her feathers to try and figure out what is wrong. Not on her butt but very close and near the skin I found some little bugs crawling on her. They aren't red like I think mites are. They are a very very light brown. I guess you could say tan. I guess they are kind of shaped like fleas or very similar but, they don't to appear to be hoping around like dog fleas do. They are crawling.

Please someone help !!!!!!!! What are they are they and what should I do. She is obviously on her death bed so the quicker anyone could respond the better.

Thanks so much,
Michelle

Okay so I was checking through her feathers to try and figure out what is wrong. Not on her butt but very close and near the skin I found some little bugs crawling on her. They aren't red like I think mites are. They are a very very light brown. I guess you could say tan. I guess they are kind of shaped like fleas or very similar but, they don't to appear to be hoping around like dog fleas do. They are crawling.

Please someone help !!!!!!!! What are they are they and what should I do. She is obviously on her death bed so the quicker anyone could respond the better.

Thanks so much,
Michelle
Doesn't matter what they are, but probably lice. Dust her with Sevin Dust ASAP and get some sugar water down her. Then go to tha feed store and get some Red Cell. It's a horse vitamin. Mix it in her water to look like weak tea and give it to her til she is better, then twice a week. After you start her on Red Cell, THEN, dust every other bird in your yard and the coop, nests, and roost. If you wanna save your flock, get moving........Pop

Last edited:
Doesn't matter what they are, but probably lice. Dust her with Sevin Dust ASAP and get some sugar water down her. Then go to tha feed store and get some Red Cell. It's a horse vitamin. Mix it in her water to look like weak tea and give it to her til she is better, then twice a week. After you start her on Red Cell, THEN, dust every other bird in your yard and the coop, nests, and roost. If you wanna save your flock, get moving........Pop
Thank you so much, I am on it. Do you know where I can get Seven dust?

You can get Sevin at a Garden Supply store or a feed store. You can also treat the lice by using Ivermectin. This will treat the lice as well as any worms or mites she may have. Take a look at this thread... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/231770/pictures-of-leg-mites/10

You might also want to inspect your other chickens, if she has them the others probably do as well. Look under their wings where it joins their body for them as well. You might see little eggs attached to the root of the feathers as well.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom