She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

My chick is 19 days old. She is eating, drinking, and pooping normally. The knot feels hard. Any ideas???? Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing the knot your talking about would be the remains of the umbilical cord. The pictures look like a normal healthy chick.
If it's sort of in the middle of the belly, the it's meant to be be like that. It will come off at some point all by itself.

Yes I agree with no use of the lid I do not think it would be a problem. But that FF isn't pleasant smelling so I guess it depends where it is kept. I keep mine outside in the feed shed. But I know a lot of people keep theirs in the house somewhere. Probably according to where they live because of temps. I'm in Florida, its always warm compared to some of the places others are.

We talked about it on here before, and I think it was decided that glass was the best material for holding FF. But you're correct, no lid. I didn't know that at first and was making FF in mason jars and the lid actually blew off! Thankfully it didn't break.

Well, I may get an opportunity to get an early start on turkeys!

Big Momma is looking for somewhere to lay...she only stopped in September, so for a turkey, especially an older BBB, that is pretty good.  She went through a very heavy and very necessary molt and is back at her fighting weight of around 35 pounds.  OG hasn't approached her, she is pretty intimidating and strikes like a cobra.  But she was squatting for me when I shuffled her back inside.  Scooter might get a chance at her before OG catches on.

Scooter and Sonny had a bloody battle today.  Sonny is with the Narri girls and Scooter is off on his own in the back room, the Bourbon Red and Bronze and young BBB hens went over to the chicken coop.  So they drew the battle lines right where I wanted them.  OG (Oregon Gray) gets the two BBB gals, and Scooter gets the young Bourbon Red and Bronze hens.  He's very gentle so they should accept him pretty well.  Sonny is untested, but he gets one experienced hen to teach him the ropes.

So did she go broody? Do they call it that with turkeys?

I'm not turning them for the 1st 7 days in hopes that the aircells will reattach but I have a feeling alot of them are going to be tricky and I'll have to watch closely on day 21. I also upped the temp about 1° since last time it was apparently too low. I had a fan I was going to install but as soon as I plugged it in to test it, it burnt up :/ Go figure. So I pulled the fan out of our old computer and I'm going to try to hook that up. I'll have my husband rig it up on day 7 while I'm candling.

Oh man! Shipping is so rough on eggs. I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know if a full 7 days is a good idea. But maybe you could try that just with the ones that are detached, since fully detached air cells are extra hard to hatch. I wish you luck, either way you go. Keep me posted on your results. My fingers are :fl

My chick is 19 days old. She is eating, drinking, and pooping normally. The knot feels hard. Any ideas???? Thanks in advance.

I can't tell by the pic. Can you get a better shot?

It feels like a cyst. The chicks abdomen hangs down when she's standing. The chick doesn't act as if she is in distress. I am just worried that it maybe something terminal.

Well...if it is terminal, she'll die of it. If it's not bothering her, let it be...it may just be a spider bite, or it may be more, but it's hard to say.

If you really think it's a cyst you can try to aspirate it with a syringe and needle.

It feels like a cyst. The chicks abdomen hangs down when she's standing. The chick doesn't act as if she is in distress. I am just worried that it maybe something terminal.

If chick is eating, pooping, and acting fine, then I'd just leave it alone... if it's nothing, unnecessary poking could cause real issues...

Back
Top Bottom