She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Well, I may get an opportunity to get an early start on turkeys!

Big Momma is looking for somewhere to lay...she only stopped in September, so for a turkey, especially an older BBB, that is pretty good. She went through a very heavy and very necessary molt and is back at her fighting weight of around 35 pounds. OG hasn't approached her, she is pretty intimidating and strikes like a cobra. But she was squatting for me when I shuffled her back inside. Scooter might get a chance at her before OG catches on.

Scooter and Sonny had a bloody battle today. Sonny is with the Narri girls and Scooter is off on his own in the back room, the Bourbon Red and Bronze and young BBB hens went over to the chicken coop. So they drew the battle lines right where I wanted them. OG (Oregon Gray) gets the two BBB gals, and Scooter gets the young Bourbon Red and Bronze hens. He's very gentle so they should accept him pretty well. Sonny is untested, but he gets one experienced hen to teach him the ropes.

Yes I agree with no use of the lid I do not think it would be a problem. But that FF isn't pleasant smelling so I guess it depends where it is kept. I keep mine outside in the feed shed. But I know a lot of people keep theirs in the house somewhere. Probably according to where they live because of temps. I'm in Florida, its always warm compared to some of the places others are.
That makes sense. I live in Utah, and right now, the feed would never ferment, it would just make a feed Popsicle.

Oh, I set those icelandic eggs Wednesday. They shipped out Monday and got here Tuesday. They were pretty shaken up. 4 have completely detached aircells, 1 had an aircell on the wrong end that was pretty solid and the rest are pretty wobbly, so it all starts again, lol. 19 eggs in total. She sent 7 extra. Very nice packaging but I went with UPS and they destroyed the aircells. That's ok though, the UPS truck got stuck in my yard after she dropped off the package and she had to call her boss to get the rest of the packages off of her truck to finish delivering and the she got stuck in the bean field so they had to call 2 tow trucks, 1 of which also got stuck :gig My yard has claimed so many trucks. There's only 1 that can make it in and out of this yard without getting stuck when it's muddy and I own it.

Last edited:
I'm not turning them for the 1st 7 days in hopes that the aircells will reattach but I have a feeling alot of them are going to be tricky and I'll have to watch closely on day 21. I also upped the temp about 1° since last time it was apparently too low. I had a fan I was going to install but as soon as I plugged it in to test it, it burnt up :/ Go figure. So I pulled the fan out of our old computer and I'm going to try to hook that up. I'll have my husband rig it up on day 7 while I'm candling.

I'm not turning them for the 1st 7 days in hopes that the aircells will reattach but I have a feeling alot of them are going to be tricky and I'll have to watch closely on day 21. I also upped the temp about 1° since last time it was apparently too low. I had a fan I was going to install but as soon as I plugged it in to test it, it burnt up
hmm.png
Go figure. So I pulled the fan out of our old computer and I'm going to try to hook that up. I'll have my husband rig it up on day 7 while I'm candling.

Is it a DC or AC fan, and how are you powering it?

Is it a DC or AC fan, and how are you powering it?
I'm not good with electrical stuff, it's a replacement computer fan and I hooked a wire to each wire coming from the fan and wired it to a plug.

ETA: When I plugged it into the wall it came on for a split second and then cut off and I smelt an electrical type smell. There was no spark or anything it just came on and cut right back off.

Last edited:
You have to have a 12 volt converter, like a little phone charger. Wire the fan to the charger, then plug the charger in. Do a google search for Rush lane poultry. He has a video tutorial.
x2.

If you have a 9v or 6v DC output that will work too, the fan will just run a little slower. Try to find one that is 500mA or more and no less than 6vDC. 6v is okay for a very small incubator like one of the foam tabletop incubators.

If you have a voltmeter, you can figure out which is + and which is - ahead of time, otherwise just twist the wires and hook them to the fan one way, see how much air is blowing, switch and try the other way. If the fan has a red, yellow and black, just use the red and black. The yellow is a speed sensor.

Last edited:
You have to have a 12 volt converter, like a little phone charger.  Wire the fan to the charger, then plug the charger in.  Do a google search for Rush lane poultry.  He has a video tutorial.

x2.

If you have a 9v or 6v DC output that will work too, the fan will just run a little slower.  Try to find one that is 500mA or more and no less than 6vDC.  6v is okay for a very small incubator like one of the foam tabletop incubators.

If you have a voltmeter, you can figure out which is + and which is - ahead of time, otherwise just twist the wires and hook them to the fan one way, see how much air is blowing, switch and try the other way.  If the fan has a red, yellow and black, just use the red and black.  The yellow is a speed sensor.
K, I'll tell my husband that, lol, I know absolutely nothing about electrical stuff. He's alot better at that stuff than me. I tried to hook it up without him being here so I got it all messed up I guess.

Back
Top Bottom