She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

So, invite them on. Perhaps set up a specific time so we all can have a heads up and be here to participate.
tumblr_mzcflkWraO1sm4glco1_r2_500.gif

OK, I'll try...

90% of our flocks are from shipped eggs... and with the exception of 1 pen (and that is already being changed) all our breeds are from at least 2 different lines/breeders for good genetic diversity...

I've received many, many boxes of eggs... some packed well, others not so much... key in well packed eggs isn't necessarily the materials and methods, it is the snug suspension of the eggs... I've had them shipped to me in cartons and done well, also in the foam egg blocks and they were totally scrambled...

Double boxing works well as long as the inner box cannot shift around... a single box will work well if the inside is lined with enough padding... the eggs need to be snuggly packed and good shock absorbing material around the outside of them... funny enough, carpet padding works really well... air cell up is best as is marking the box fragile and this end up... I do not go for the 'live hatching eggs' markings, those have seemed to be the most beat up...

But, this can all be done and still get scrambled eggs... another factor is which PO hubs did the box go through and how many... I've found it is not the distance they travel, it's the transfer points they go through... some hubs are more likely to cause damages than others, for instance if a box goes through Nashville to me it's ok, but if it has to go through the Memphis PO hub, I know it's gonna come scrambled each time... (Memphis transfers their twice and takes 2 days to come out of the city, dunno why)

If you can ask the sender to send the eggs packed a specific way, then ask... good breeders and people will listen... if they argue then (and this is really hard) walk away and find someone else... do not keep trying to get eggs from a source that is not going to help your odds in hatching from the end they control...

My birds are not the best of the best, but they're not total junk either... I am truthful in what needs work and what I have going... anyone who says their birds are all perfect SQ and that is what you'll get as well, is full of it and you should walk away then... I don't sell eggs yet per se, as some things need a bit more work than I am happy with releasing... but I do offer some of my eggs as a decent start to ones I feel deserve it... but if they can't accept that anything be less than perfect I will refuse and move on as well...

As for incubating shipped eggs, at that point the damage that has been done to any eggs is done... all you can do is your best and hope that you get any live hatches... eggs were never meant to be shipped so my thoughts behind it is if a single chick survives, then that is a success...

Btw, if you take an egg in your hand and shake the crud out of it, it can scramble that way as well... so even the best packing ever cannot stop damage caused by the box just get shaken excessively...

Oops, sorry that was a lot... anyways, just my experiences and hope they help someone...

th

Until the BCM, all of my best hatches were at 40%

I'm really starting to think it's the first straight run batch. Tate has his issues, so I'm sure the hens do, too, just not as obvious. I really, really wish I had been patient and spent the money on better stock. Someone posted pics of their GFF BCM growing out, and they are gorgeous. If I have to scrap this flock, I've wasted an entire year.
I have heard so much about that on here, I ordered some last night
Anyone use Terrimycin in the drinking water, or does it even work for chickens? I used to use it regularly when I was keeping Bobwhite Quail.

I think I will keep them in IC for a few more days. I've been moving them out at 2-4 days, but it's never been an issue before. What's getting me is these chicks hatch healthy. No crooked toes, no splayed legs, they are up and running with the rest. The only reason I can figure for them dropping off after a few days is water, or layer health. I can fix the water, but if I have a flock issue I'm going to have to start over. I have always had healthy birds, high hatch rates, and healthy chicks. I'm not opposed to being flexible in my incubation methods. Read my posts from March. I would :smack  anyone that suggested I run dry. I ran dry last time, running dry now. If this one doesn't work, I may do a 180 and try the 54% from the link Ruby posted. It's just very frustrating

I hope you able to figure it out. It is disheartening to lose them after they hatch. You haven't wasted a year you have gained and shared valuable knowledge. Tried knew methods of incubation practice. You have definitely taught me loads. I will have to do some research on post hatch mortality and how to prevent it. Hang in there, maybe the girls are still a bit young.

I agree, it seems that dryer would help with aircell stability... but then.... what do I know.  I've never tried to hatch a shipped egg.  You might contact Sally Sunshine, or Ozexpat about this issue.  As a matter of fact, how bout inviting both of them over to this thread for a conversation?  I'd suggest that if we do, keep the "humor" to a minimum.

I have read their posts, and they are both phenomenal people, but I'm not censoring myself :D

So, invite them on.  Perhaps set up a specific time so we all can have a heads up and be here to participate.

Sally I think is rarely on anymore, and Oz is in the Philes this week... wait til at least next week to ask him, he is with his family now... and 'net reception is crappy there...

Oz can take jokes just fine (ask him about Argentinian Blue Lake duck, lol) just not on his own thread... let him know that adult jokes are the norm and he should be fine...

Sally I think is rarely on anymore, and Oz is in the Philes this week... wait til at least next week to ask him, he is with his family now... and 'net reception is crappy there...

Oz can take jokes just fine (ask him about Argentinian Blue Lake duck, lol) just not on his own thread... let him know that adult jokes are the norm and he should be fine...

Sally just came back she has been quite ill. But I saw her on her shipped eggs thread a couple of days ago

90% of our flocks are from shipped eggs... and with the exception of 1 pen (and that is already being changed) all our breeds are from at least 2 different lines/breeders for good genetic diversity...

I've received many, many boxes of eggs... some packed well, others not so much... key in well packed eggs isn't necessarily the materials and methods, it is the snug suspension of the eggs... I've had them shipped to me in cartons and done well, also in the foam egg blocks and they were totally scrambled...

Double boxing works well as long as the inner box cannot shift around... a single box will work well if the inside is lined with enough padding... the eggs need to be snuggly packed and good shock absorbing material around the outside of them... funny enough, carpet padding works really well... air cell up is best as is marking the box fragile and this end up... I do not go for the 'live hatching eggs' markings, those have seemed to be the most beat up...

But, this can all be done and still get scrambled eggs... another factor is which PO hubs did the box go through and how many... I've found it is not the distance they travel, it's the transfer points they go through... some hubs are more likely to cause damages than others, for instance if a box goes through Nashville to me it's ok, but if it has to go through the Memphis PO hub, I know it's gonna come scrambled each time... (Memphis transfers their twice and takes 2 days to come out of the city, dunno why)

If you can ask the sender to send the eggs packed a specific way, then ask... good breeders and people will listen... if they argue then (and this is really hard) walk away and find someone else... do not keep trying to get eggs from a source that is not going to help your odds in hatching from the end they control...

My birds are not the best of the best, but they're not total junk either... I am truthful in what needs work and what I have going... anyone who says their birds are all perfect SQ and that is what you'll get as well, is full of it and you should walk away then... I don't sell eggs yet per se, as some things need a bit more work than I am happy with releasing... but I do offer some of my eggs as a decent start to ones I feel deserve it... but if they can't accept that anything be less than perfect I will refuse and move on as well...

As for incubating shipped eggs, at that point the damage that has been done to any eggs is done... all you can do is your best and hope that you get any live hatches... eggs were never meant to be shipped so my thoughts behind it is if a single chick survives, then that is a success...

Btw, if you take an egg in your hand and shake the crud out of it, it can scramble that way as well... so even the best packing ever cannot stop damage caused by the box just get shaken excessively...

Oops, sorry that was a lot... anyways, just my experiences and hope they help someone...

Good points!

Speaking of shaking an egg and scrambling it.... I watched a video the other evening of "life hacks"... you know, those guys that try to figure out ways to do things easier/quicker. There were several things related to eggs. Like "frying" one in the microwave, etc. But the particular one that struck me was they took an egg, and placed it in the center of a long sleeve, grabbed one end in each hand, and twirled it around about 15 times. Kinda like a jump rope, with the egg in the middle. Then they boiled it, or cooked in the microwave, and when peeled, it was totally scrambled! All one shade of pale yellow.

So what happens, in regards to incubation, if the yolk gets busted during shipping? Is that an automatic goner? (I've never tried shipped eggs, obviously!)

Back
Top Bottom