She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Please help! I came home to another ducking this afternoon. This one isn't drying like the others :/ almost like it was dipped in glue. And its not able to close its eyes. Is there a soap I can use or just keep wetting it with water?

Good luck!

I wrapped our little one snuggly in that warm cloth and put her back in the bator. She seems just fine. A little fighter. Maybe I'll name her after a boxer or something.

Please help! I came home to another ducking this afternoon. This one isn't drying like the others
hmm.png
almost like it was dipped in glue. And its not able to close its eyes. Is there a soap I can use or just keep wetting it with water?

BLUE Dawn. You can also just try warm water. I had one that was pretty sticky, and with a little rubbing, it flaked off by itself in a couple of days Just watch the eyes and nares.

Don't put any soap any where near the eyes! You might be able to do what you need to do around the face with a Q-tip dipped in warm water. Chick is glued in albumen. It will eventually wear off, or you can do a warm bath in a bowl of water, if you can get it nice and dry with a towel and warmed up in the brooder or bator after. Biggest concern with that is getting a not well healed umbilicus wet. Check that before you introduce any water, and you might want to put triple antibiotic on before, or some betadine after.

Going a bit off topic.....

So Buster has really come around over the last week. He hasn't had any triggers/episodes since day 2. He has become pretty trustful and more and more affectionate. He enjoys being petted and doesn't usually flinch. He hasn't got to the giving kisses point yet, but he looks for attention and wants to be inside now rather than out. He loves his walks and especially his treats. He doesn't sleep upstairs with us and still won't or can't (haven't figured out which yet,) get on the couch or bed yet and generally stays downstairs as it gets pretty warm upstairs and he pants when he's up here.

He's not a barker or whiner, but tonight I heard him give out a yelp. A minute later another bark/yelp so of course I went down to investigate. Once I got downstairs I heard my father in his bedroom struggling for breath. I hurried to set him up with a neb treatment and calm him down. (He goes into a panick attack-understandably-when he can't breath.) I never heard a thing before Buster's alert. I don't know what would have happened w/o Buster alerting me, but I'm glad I didn't have to find out. Of course he got lots of loving and a treat. And I swear this dog smiles!

A parade? Lol

Well, I helped it. The veins all seemed drawn in and we r going on three days so I figured I better try. It seems okay, but at the bottom, which was the last bit I removed, it has this thing hanging out of its belly button. Should I clip it and free it? It seems to want free badly lol.

Eta: I have been holding it tightly and researching for thirty minutes or so BC I am scared it will pull it out. I have a towel in warm, sterile water, cooling down to wrap it up in if that would be better.

You did a great job with this chick! It's so nerve wrecking doing assists! I had one like that and I clipped it. How's it doing now?

No.  If you have 2 laying hens, and can tell the difference between their eggs, this is what I'd do:  I'd save their eggs for a week.  Then I'd separate the eggs into Hen A and Hen B piles.  Then, I'd look carefully at A pile and see if there were any subtle differences, choosing the ones that were most round.  (closest ratio between length and width, not as pointy on the small end)  Do the same for group B.  Then, you can also mark the eggs you set with A or B.  It would be interesting to note if your torpedo layer produces more cockrels, and your baseball layer produces more pullets.  IMO, these smaller flocks, where each bird's eggs can be ID'd are perfect for this experiment, more so than doing a selection based solely on shape.  In theory, a hen will release male ovum one day and female the following day. 

Ok, that's makes a lot of sense. The eggs are not fertile yet, and they didn't lay yesterday or today. But I will follow your exact instructions in spring and let you know the results!

This spring you can send me 80% round and 20 pointed...lol After all I am going to need a roo too!! 

I'm making a lot of good changes with the flock. Found a local breeder that's on the board for the American bantam association and she has online "classes" about breeding silkies to sop. I read through one today. I'm learning so much! Also getting more started birds for breeding. You will definitely get nice eggs in spring!!

So Buster has really come around over the last week. He hasn't had any triggers/episodes since day 2. He has become pretty trustful and more and more affectionate. He enjoys being petted and doesn't usually flinch. He hasn't got to the giving kisses point yet, but he looks for attention and wants to be inside now rather than out. He loves his walks and especially his treats. He doesn't sleep upstairs with us and still won't or can't (haven't figured out which yet,) get on the couch or bed yet and generally stays downstairs as it gets pretty warm upstairs and he pants when he's up here.

He's not a barker or whiner, but tonight I heard him give out a yelp. A minute later another bark/yelp so of course I went down to investigate. Once I got downstairs I heard my father in his bedroom struggling for breath. I hurried to set him up with a neb treatment and calm him down. (He goes into a panick attack-understandably-when he can't breath.) I never heard a thing before Buster's alert. I don't know what would have happened w/o Buster alerting me, but I'm glad I didn't have to find out. Of course he got lots of loving and a treat. And I swear this dog smiles!

Awesome story, and awesome Buster! So glad he was down there to alert you. Some pets are so good about that when a person needs medical help.

Awesome story, and awesome Buster! So glad he was down there to alert you. Some pets are so good about that when a person needs medical help.
He's turning out to be a good choice. We just adopted him from the shelter a week ago and after getting him home all signs pointed to the fact he'd been abused, but he's come a long way in just a week.

You did a great job with this chick! It's so nerve wrecking doing assists! I had one like that and I clipped it. How's it doing now?
Ok, that's makes a lot of sense. The eggs are not fertile yet, and they didn't lay yesterday or today. But I will follow your exact instructions in spring and let you know the results!
I'm making a lot of good changes with the flock. Found a local breeder that's on the board for the American bantam association and she has online "classes" about breeding silkies to sop. I read through one today. I'm learning so much! Also getting more started birds for breeding. You will definitely get nice eggs in spring!!
hugs.gif

You've got a four-footed gem on your hands, lady. So glad it all worked out the way it did.

Back
Top Bottom