She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Well my last hatch was a complete flop. For some reason I couldn't keep the temp steady. 1 minute it would be 100° and then it would just jump to 102° for no reason. After I installed the fan, the temp was even from top to bottom but side to side there was a 2 degree difference. A majority of them fried over night on day 6 cause it jumped up to 104 and the humidity dropped to 21. When I went to bed that night everything was where it should be, temp was 100.5 (my therm is off by a half a degree) and humidity was around 35. I don't know how long it had been like that before I woke up that morning but apparently it had been that way for a while cause when I candled that day most of them had quit or were quitting. I ended up with 5 when I locked down and they were due yesterday. There still aren't any pips so I candled but can't tell what's going on. I think 1 or 2 may still be alive but I'm not sure. 2 had drawn down but I think they quit after that. I swear I feel like throwing this bator in the river after I run over it and crush it. The first time I ever used it it worked awesome, the temp stayed relatively close to where I set it and the humidity wasn't a problem at all but the last 2 times it's been a complete nightmare. I'm going to invest in a nice Brinsea I think. Maybe I'll ask hubby to get me 1 for my birthday in May.

Well my last hatch was a complete flop. For some reason I couldn't keep the temp steady. 1 minute it would be 100° and then it would just jump to 102° for no reason. After I installed the fan, the temp was even from top to bottom but side to side there was a 2 degree difference. A majority of them fried over night on day 6 cause it jumped up to 104 and the humidity dropped to 21. When I went to bed that night everything was where it should be, temp was 100.5 (my therm is off by a half a degree) and humidity was around 35. I don't know how long it had been like that before I woke up that morning but apparently it had been that way for a while cause when I candled that day most of them had quit or were quitting. I ended up with 5 when I locked down and they were due yesterday. There still aren't any pips so I candled but can't tell what's going on. I think 1 or 2 may still be alive but I'm not sure. 2 had drawn down but I think they quit after that. I swear I feel like throwing this bator in the river after I run over it and crush it. The first time I ever used it it worked awesome, the temp stayed relatively close to where I set it and the humidity wasn't a problem at all but the last 2 times it's been a complete nightmare. I'm going to invest in a nice Brinsea I think. Maybe I'll ask hubby to get me 1 for my birthday in May.

Sorry to hear that Megan! Did the problems start after you installed the fan? I had a styro bator for a total of 2 days and I returned it. It would either sit at 98 or 104 and I couldn't get it in between. Maybe if I had more patience I could have stabilized it. But after having the brinsea, I was totally spoiled. With them, you set the temp and it stays exactly where you set it for the whole 21 days. Plus, I hand turn, so I'm opening it at least 5 times a day and still it goes right back in a matter of seconds. If you're home and can hand turn, the Eco model is pretty affordable. I would highly recommend it. Plus, it will pay for itself by the hatch rates it will give you! Update if you get any action!

should not be here my self but not your fault Megan this weather warm and warm thing about styros is you must control their environment they are not sealed that good .a 5or 10 degree temp swing in the ambient temperature really affects them . I mean really affects them built cabinet for mine helped but still have temp swings .

Sorry to hear that Megan! Did the problems start after you installed the fan? I had a styro bator for a total of 2 days and I returned it. It would either sit at 98 or 104 and I couldn't get it in between. Maybe if I had more patience I could have stabilized it. But after having the brinsea, I was totally spoiled. With them, you set the temp and it stays exactly where you set it for the whole 21 days. Plus, I hand turn, so I'm opening it at least 5 times a day and still it goes right back in a matter of seconds. If you're home and can hand turn, the Eco model is pretty affordable. I would highly recommend it. Plus, it will pay for itself by the hatch rates it will give you! Update if you get any action!
I found a Brinsea advance 20 with the cradle on eBay and the bid right now is only $150. The problem is it's Xmas time so we really don't have the extra cash to spend.

ETA: The problem didn't really start when I installed the fan but it got worse after that.

Last edited:
should not be here my self but not your fault Megan this weather warm and warm  thing about styros is you must control their  environment  they are not sealed that good .a 5or 10 degree temp swing in the ambient temperature really affects them . I mean really affects them  built cabinet for mine helped but still have temp swings .
I wrapped a leather jacket around it and left it open enough on top to keep the vent holes open. It's pretty drafty where the bator is sitting so I figured that would help. I don't know, it's just so frustrating. I'm thinking of ordering an Incukit and getting an old broken mini fridge or wine cooler with a glass door and making my own small cabinet bator. I've seen lots of plans online for other homemade cabinet bators. This stupid styro bator is just driving me insane so I've got to find something else. It fried $50 worth of eggs, and that's just from this batch.

Last edited:
I found a Brinsea advance 20 with the cradle on eBay and the bid right now is only $150. The problem is it's Xmas time so we really don't have the extra cash to spend.

How much time left on the auction? Anything under $250 I would jump all over if possible. Mine, on sale, was $360. It's nice to have the 2 year warranty with a new one, but I would buy used for $100 off

How much time left on the auction? Anything under $250 I would jump all over if possible. Mine, on sale, was $360. It's nice to have the 2 year warranty with a new one, but I would buy used for $100 off
I think it has 3 days left. I know it's a h**l of a deal but we really don't have it to spend right now. This time of year is really slow for fiberglass which is what my hubby does so money's really, REALLY tight right now.

Back
Top Bottom