Sheep People-Advice Please!

You are the BEST!!! I had said I wouldn't get them but I might stop by and get one now I think about it, I think it's more nutritious. So if you notice one missing, it was me
wink.png

Thanks Again,
Nathan

Interesting about toxic plants I found that is very surprising to me.

Red Maple

Red maple can cause a blood disorder that leaves an animal sick for an extended period. Like cherry, wilted leaves are the most toxic.

Okay, I have 3 red maple trees in their field and they got up on their hind legs months ago and stripped all the leaves they could, never got sick (that was before I got M)

Cherry, Black

All parts are extremely toxic, but wilted leaves are the most. The tree contains cyanide, and all animals are susceptible, especially ruminants. Symptoms included staggering or convulsions within fifteen to thirty minutes of ingestion; death within one hour.

Cannot believe it. That was the FIRST thing M ate on Friday, she started taking leaves off my black cherry trees.

I got this directly from UF's website and am shocked. Wouldn't sheep and other grazers have an instinct not to eat something that is poisonous?
http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/hot_topics/agriculture/toxic_plants.html

I cannot keep her from the black cherry trees or the toxic milkweed plants in my backyard, not at this point. I hope she sticks to the hay and pellets for now. She is finally eating dry pellets this morning...another step to recovery.

Eating is a very good sign. BTW, animals rarely eat toxic plants if they have good food available. An exception is an animal that gets addicted to Jimpsom Weed. And plants may be toxic under some conditions and not others.

Quote:
I would not worm while she is sick., it's an added stressor. Can you get some trimethoprim SMZ? Might be better for GI stuff. Also, electrolytes with fiber or add some metamucil, which I know seems weird but she needs some fiber in her gut/rumin. Probiotics are very important, too. You can get them at the feed store or add live culture yogurt, organic ACV or best would be kefir.
Good luck, sheep are great animals. I miss my little flock of polypays.

Quote:
Anemia can also be caused by sepsis from severe bacterial or viral infection. I'd wait on loading up with more toxic wormer until a fecal is done. Wormer is an added stress, plus, if the wormload is terrible, a total worm die off can kill the animal, too.

Quote:
Thank you. I will call about the B Vitamins. He was very short on knowledge and didn't seem to LIKE animals like a vet should, didn't talk to her or call her by name like I would expect. Wasn't too old, probably straight out of vet school. I think one of those had B Vitamins in it. I do know the name of a vet WITH experience that I will use next time.

Ohh, I hate vets like that! I kicked a vet off my farm one time. A cattle vet that tried to stick a needle in a horse's gut, as if it was a cow. He then proceeded to tell the owner she was dying and she was wasting her money, in a very rude manner.

Quote:
I have had red cell work in a severely ill filly who was anemic due to a chronic bacterial infection in her gut.
I've had some calves and a puppy get severely anemic due to viruses. They puppy had parvovirus,which destroys red blood cells, and required multiple transfusions. The calves had multiple infections, I got them from a dairy and stools tested + for resistant e.coli, resistant salmonella, resistant staph and rotavirus. Probiotics, b-vitamins, electrolytes, Metamucil and subcutaneous fluids saved all of them. I also gave them red cell once they were nursing.

Back
Top Bottom