Shelducks?

Kimmyh51

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2015
Just wondering if anyone out there has rescued/raised any Shelducks? And your observations about their character personality etc? I have raised some NZ Paradise shelducks lSt spring. And it is really hard to find any info on the Internet specific to Paradise shelducks so I thought it would be interesting to find out if anybody else has raised any other types of shelduck and compare observations on their behaviour and character and personality etc

(my paradise ducks are hilarious and clever and while very definitely duck…. They are also very different in so many ways to my mallard type ducks. Those differences are a challenge at first, but as adults, they are just so clever, loyal, cheeky and hilarious. There isnt much in depth info about their behaviour available, possibly because they are, as far as I’m aware, restricted to New Zealand. But I have noticed there are a lot of other shelducks around the world, some who look quite similar, so I just wanted to find out any other people‘s experiences with these amazing subspecies/(separate species of) ducks and see if anyone any of the other shelducks have brought the same joy and hilarity to people‘s lives as the paradise shelducks have done to mine?
Attached photo is of a paradise duck pair but happy to post a video of mine if anyone is interested ( they don’t stay still long enough for photos LOL) or you can see a recent rescue of mine (now released) here (and hear my kiwi accent lol in the video).
https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/n...gun-days-before-duck-found-with-arrow-in-neck

Attachments

• 5F771750-F1A7-4F25-9BAC-E09B1C90D7C5.jpeg
    5F771750-F1A7-4F25-9BAC-E09B1C90D7C5.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 6
That story about the kids shooting ducks with BBs and then the duck with the arrow in its neck is just way to sad. These kids need to be disciplined and taught to respect wildlife. But the fact they said they want to shoot humans next is really disturbing

Back
Top Bottom