Shell-Less Egg

Just coming back to this thread and catching up.

Dorothy appears pert, perky and sassy and past her crisis. I think what she was experiencing is something I've observed in every hen I've seen lay a soft egg. And that's a sort of phantom sensation of needing to still lay an egg after passing a shell-less egg.

The hen will go back to the nest and sit sometimes for an hour without producing anything. Then she will go back to her normal routine. Almost always she will lay a normal egg from then on.

It seemed like Dorothy hadn’t laid an egg in three days. I did find one egg, but no shell, wedged/oozed in between the coop and the mesh door. I thought it was possible that the girls could only reach the shell and that the egg itself slid down. However, today Dorothy was very, very off. So I brought her inside, gave her a calcium citrate and left her inside with some heat. Well, this is what happened.

Like the video says, I’ll put her on calcium for a few days. But what do you think about administering antibiotics? EYP has already killed two of my birds.

I wouldn't worry to much I have chickens and they would all be laying just fine and I would just get a random shell less egg

Back
Top Bottom