Shipped birds

HollyParks

Chirping
Sep 30, 2023
This is my second time ordering live chicks but this time seems like shipping is a lot slower. I’ve ordered from MPC and got 8 beautiful chicks and they arrived within 2 days of hatching. These ones shipped from Ohio and I’m all the way in Oregon.

This time I ordered ducklings and they will take up to 3-4 days even though they are shipping from California. It just seems like a long time for babies to be in shipment. I’m worried even though they guarantee live birds. Has anyone else ordered ducklings? Is it normal to have ducklings in the mail longer than chicks?

This time I ordered ducklings and they will take up to 3-4 days
That does not sound right. Postal regulations require poultry chicks to be shipped from the hatchery within 24 hours of them hatching and for them to be delivered with 48 hours of shipping. Before they hatch they absorb the yolk and can live off of that at least 72 hours, usually longer. Ducklings are no different.

Sometimes there are delays in shipping. Even if they are a day or more late they are often still alive. They may be weak though. If they arrive late it is customary to give them an energy booster to help them get over it. You can buy stuff at the feed store but some people make sugar water. I use hummingbird liquid since I always have that on hand. You can just substitute that for their regular water at first, but soon rinse it out and give them normal water. If the chick is really weak I use a medicine dropper to put a drop of liquid on the tip of its beak. It should swallow it. Do not force liquid down its throat, you could drown it.

Some people give electrolytes like this even if the chicks are on time. I don't as I don't see the need. But as long as you don't get ridiculous about it you will do no harm.

I don't know why you think they might be this late. I personally don't put as much faith in these shipping forecasts as many do even on everyday things. But if they are four days late be prepared for weak or dead ducklings.

I wish you luck.

That does not sound right. Postal regulations require poultry chicks to be shipped from the hatchery within 24 hours of them hatching and for them to be delivered with 48 hours of shipping. Before they hatch they absorb the yolk and can live off of that at least 72 hours, usually longer. Ducklings are no different.

Sometimes there are delays in shipping. Even if they are a day or more late they are often still alive. They may be weak though. If they arrive late it is customary to give them an energy booster to help them get over it. You can buy stuff at the feed store but some people make sugar water. I use hummingbird liquid since I always have that on hand. You can just substitute that for their regular water at first, but soon rinse it out and give them normal water. If the chick is really weak I use a medicine dropper to put a drop of liquid on the tip of its beak. It should swallow it. Do not force liquid down its throat, you could drown it.

Some people give electrolytes like this even if the chicks are on time. I don't as I don't see the need. But as long as you don't get ridiculous about it you will do no harm.

I don't know why you think they might be this late. I personally don't put as much faith in these shipping forecasts as many do even on everyday things. But if they are four days late be prepared for weak or dead ducklings.

I wish you luck.
I’m hoping the tracking is just isn’t updated. USPS usually says packages will arrive later than the expected delivery. Last time my chicks got here a day earlier than the expected delivery date. My ducklings are only 6 hours away (if they didn’t ship from that location last night). They are in transit so hopefully they’ll actually get here today or tomorrow by the absolute latest.
I have the electrolytes and probiotics packets too.

Update! They’re here and they are very active. They were shipped with gel

Attachments

• EBE84081-5697-4B1F-AAFF-42C1EF90E6DB.jpeg
    EBE84081-5697-4B1F-AAFF-42C1EF90E6DB.jpeg
    492.4 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom