Shipping Eggs

It's day 22 and my eggs still haven't hatched. A few of them were moving earlier but now have stopped. I'm losing hope for them
1f641.png

Aww oh no that's horrible! Out of my batch I had some on day 21 and 22 but I had to hatch like 6 myself I don't know what caused so many to need help but after they internally pipped I had to externally pip so they wouldn't run out of air and then I slowly over the next day zipped the shell and they all seem very healthy

Well it's looking like I may have to do that if there are no hatching attempts within the next 12 hours or so. One has been moving since yesterday night but has no pip.

I checked by candling and making sure they at least internally pipped if they did hopefully they haven't run out of air yet I was to late on a few of mine but the ones that I did do in time did well

Thanks for the advice. I may candle later depending on how they look in an hour. When did you intervene and pip them? What'd you look for in the eggs? Also how did you create a pip yourself?

Last edited:
On day 22 if they hadn't externally pipped yet I candled and looked for the beak in the air cell you can see it move around then I would get a small knife and about where the beak is in the air cell I would use the point and start scraping until you can chip it not very much to start with and make sure to not puncture the inner membrane there are two membranes after making the pip I would put it back for 8 to 12 hours and then slowly zip but make sure it's not bleeding if it starts to bleed at all put it back and try again later

I candled and the majority looked like they had died. I have a little hope for one, maybe two eggs. I'm just going to let them be though because they didn't have an internal pip. I think I may stay away from shipped eggs for awhile before I get better at hatching. The good thing is I have eggs from my hens under a broody hen due this upcoming Thursday. How are your babies?

Ya there isn't much you can do if they don't Even internally pip. I don't plan on buying anymore eggs either I got a nice flock to breed and have my own babies if I want to at least and I'm going to let the chicken do the work lol all the chicks are doing great one thing I was wandering tho there is a black chick of mine that when I put my hand in the brooder he acts like a rooster and goes after my hand is that normal he is almost 2 weeks here is the chick

Ya there isn't much you can do if they don't Even internally pip. I don't plan on buying anymore eggs either I got a nice flock to breed and have my own babies if I want to at least and I'm going to let the chicken do the work lol all the chicks are doing great one thing I was wandering tho there is a black chick of mine that when I put my hand in the brooder he acts like a rooster and goes after my hand is that normal he is almost 2 weeks here is the chick

Hmm...I have never had any chicks like that but I have had ones that had the "attitude" of a rooster but turned into hens. If he's actually attacking your hand, that could be major sign of aggression problems that could be worse later on when he's larger. I've never had that happen so I don't really know what to tell you. Try posting on the Silkie thread.

Back
Top Bottom