Shipping methods for shipping eggs

So how do y'all ship eggs? I mean I live in Pakistan and I want some fertile eggs. How can I import them?

Importing and exporting 'legally' varies drastically from country to country and generally involves A LOT of paperwork if one is to do it 'legally'... IMO way to involved for a post on this forum, best bet is to start researching on your end with your government bodies and get written procedures and practices on importing requirements... Once you have those then you can look for an exporter, I highly doubt your average egg seller would even bother with 'legal' export so you will probably have to find bigger International hatcheries that do export as part of their business already...

With that said there is no shortage of people who circumvent/ignore the laws and just ship eggs unclaimed/unmarked using a carrier like FedEx overnight or next day...

IMO you would be much better off just finding a domestic supplier...

I have used the shavings method for shipping for several years now. Eggs have more needs than just protecting from shell and air cell damage, and plastic touching the eggs is counterproductive to ensuring that the eggs retain proper moisture and oxygen levels. Eggs are ALIVE and like all living things they need to "breathe" which they do via pores. Wrapping up the egg in plastic is not much different then doing the same to a chick. Eggs also require a stable humidity. When wrapped in plastic it is not uncommon for eggs to "sweat" as the box warms and cools during transit. This moisture can ccause the egg to absorb toxins from the plastic out-gassing. We all hear that 30% hatch rate is the norm for shipped eggs, however I have found this to only be true with the plastic shipped eggs. When I ship my eggs using shavings, I typically expect a 50-70% hatch rate, and frequently hear of far better then that. I do advise my clients to set the eggs after a 24 hour rest, candle and evaluate the air cells, then to set them upright without turning for 3-5 days depending upon how badly (if at all) the air cells were damaged. I feel this also adds to the success. I live in Massachusetts and have shipped literally thousands of eggs to 39 states including Alaska, and have yet to have less than 50% development rate using the shavings method.

Hi. Was just reading your post. could you describe the shaving method you use? Do you just place the eggs directly down into a shavings filled box or do you wrap them in something before placing into the shavings? Thank you

Hi. Was just reading your post. could you describe the shaving method you use? Do you just place the eggs directly down into a shavings filled box or do you wrap them in something before placing into the shavings? Thank you

Crumpled newspaper on the floor of the box, then shavings. Take carton and fill with fine shavings. "Screw" eggs into the egg cups of the carton, then add more shavings and pack tightly around eggs with fingers. Tape or rubber band carton shut, and nestle into the shavings with the carton tilted slightly. Pack more shavings around the carton, patting to settle the shavings tightly. Use crumpled newspaper to top off the box. If going to a dry environment, mist the shavings slightly with water to compensate for the loss. You can use a large priority box with this method, however a larger box works better. I just shipped 29 eggs using this method, customer reported 2 with damaged air cells and 24 developing well.

Crumpled newspaper on the floor of the box, then shavings. Take carton and fill with fine shavings. "Screw" eggs into the egg cups of the carton, then add more shavings and pack tightly around eggs with fingers. Tape or rubber band carton shut, and nestle into the shavings with the carton tilted slightly. Pack more shavings around the carton, patting to settle the shavings tightly. Use crumpled newspaper to top off the box. If going to a dry environment, mist the shavings slightly with water to compensate for the loss. You can use a large priority box with this method, however a larger box works better. I just shipped 29 eggs using this method, customer reported 2 with damaged air cells and 24 developing well.
Thanks for explaining that. Sorry for just now responding but this time has allowed me to try it out. In the 3 wks since you posted, I have shipped a good number of eggs. I have done it two ways, Wrapping the eggs in a porous foam type wrap with ends open then burying them in fine shavings or by putting them in a carton which was then packed in shavings. In both case the area surrounding the eggs was firmly packed with the shavings. There was no movement whatsoever of the eggs once sealed in box. In both cases, the eggs seem to be arriving with very good viability. Unfortunately not everyone I ship to keeps me posted but in one instance the priority box took 6 days to arrive and the development is 11/15. This one was packed in carton. Another shipment took 8 days and 8 out of 17 are developing. This one was packed in bubble wrap. Trying to get feed back from those whose eggs didn't take an abnormal amount of time to reach their destination but so far looking promising. Thanks!

Last edited:
I protect each egg by wrapping it in bubble wrap. I place them in a flat rate shipping box with paper that I purchased from U-haul, the kind they use for wrapping items for moving. Put enough paper in both top and bottom add your eggs points down and seal. I have terrific luck with packaging this way. (knock on wood) I have lost no eggs to shipping since I have started packaging this way. My customers also have a good hatch rate but that has tons of variables.

Good luck and hope they don't play football with your boxed eggs.

Back
Top Bottom