shooting an animal guilt.

Sorry for your loss. I find dispatching cats and dogs harder than other animals,but atleast you were able to do it humanely.

Feral cats are truly a menace to the environment. The Trap-Neuter-Release program is counter-intuitive and only becomes "effective" when 80% or more of the resident population (both sexes) is neuter/spayed -and- no new cats enter the pack. You know as well as I do that its cost-prohibitive to achieve this, never mind the fact that cats figure out how to avoid traps, bait, etc. New studies indicate damage to wild bird populations were off by about 2x. That translates into BILLIONS of birds who have been killed by an unnatural predator.

Time heals everything. You'll get over the guilt in no time and will be ready to dispatch the next stray cat that wanders into your yard. If you don't want to shoot your next trapped cat, fill a large tote or trash can (big enough to accommodate the trap) w/ water and drop the cat & trap in it. It will succumb in about 15-20 seconds. Quick, clean, no blood.

I am so sorry for your loss. I love cats. I have 7 rescues, all inside. By leaving feral cat's out to run, spayed or unspayed is doing an injustice to the cats. I feel that our no-kill shelters are horrendous. I volunteered at one for 6 mo. The life those animals live is so pathetic. I'm not sure I could kill but we need to protect our own. ((My neighbor keeps our feral cat population down, thankfully.) The hundreds of thousands of cats running around are hungry and some are sick. You did the right thing. No guilt or remorse, please. So many of us stand behind you. sue
hugs.gif

(Hubby and I have a conversation every now and again that if we were starving could we eat our pets, they would be starving too. We've domesticated something originally wild. I know we'd get a couple of meals out of ours. lol Not saying that I could just a conversation about survival)

Last edited:
I don't feel bad about shooting cats, I am a dog person and I don't feel bad about shooting dogs either if they are on my property and attacking. Shooting stray cats is something that needs to be done for the good of the environment not just your chickens, they are an invasive species, invasives always are a detriment to local wildlife, especially when that invasive is a well oiled killing machine.

He probably would have been hit by a car,killed by a fishercat,or died from some horrible disease eventually anyway.
Probably did him a favor in the long run.

I don't think it was a cat that ate your roosters head off through the fence, unless your rooster stuck his head out to be eaten. it sounds like a raccoon got a grip in him and ate his little head (for which I am really sorry ). I hate the thought of killing anything, but if it's killing my chickens I would feel differently. My dog just killed my favorite silkie yesterday, it was our fault because we forgot she was outside with them, and I'm still not "speaking" to her. If it was a stray that got into the run, I would probably shoot it too. I hope your chicken killer never returns

Last edited:
Thank you guys. I do feel better. Has anyone ever had a baby monitor setup or anything like that? Think it would work?

Many people use them, and "trail cam" waterproof cameras too! Then you have a picture of the critter that's attacking your birds.I have strays dumped off here a lot, its very upsetting. Your rooster was trying to protect his flock
bow.gif
and suffered the consequences. I have had a stray dog kill one of my baby goats
somad.gif
It is so sad, irresponsible pet owners hurt everyone around them. Don't feel bad, you did the right thing, and saved the cat from suffering from weather, cars and being eaten himself (coyotes) I would keep the trap going a few days in case he wasn't the culprit however.

Many people use them, and "trail cam" waterproof cameras too! Then you have a picture of the critter that's attacking your birds.I have strays dumped off here a lot, its very upsetting. Your rooster was trying to protect his flock :bow and suffered the consequences. I have had a stray dog kill one of my baby goats :mad: It is so sad, irresponsible pet owners hurt everyone around them. Don't feel bad, you did the right thing, and saved the cat from suffering from weather, cars and being eaten himself (coyotes) I would keep the trap going a few days in case he wasn't the culprit however.

We have been in a couple spots. Trying to find a baby monitor that will reach far out enough without listening to static all night. Caught another large cat. :( was not easier at all by the way. Is there somebody i can call since my neighbor just lets all those strays breed and breed over there? He runs a dairy and says he Likes them for rat control. *sigh* my rabbit went missing now the wire was all bent in a corner. :,( RIP batman ( the bunny)

Quote:
oh my.. i am so sorry.. you can call a pest control or exterminator to help, but cats are considered a domestic animal.. If he has "fed" those cats they are his by law. call your code enforcement or animal control too. Its your property. his animals are killing your livestock and most state law won't allow it to continue. This is just awful. You should not have to be subjected to it, let alone your poor birds!
Message me, i am willing to pm you the links to where you are to contact the right agency to help stop this! Its so painful to lose the babies you have worked so hard to raise and care for
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom