Shorty’s coop - design feedback please?

_shorty_

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2019
Central Illinois
I’m hoping for some input before I start working on our first coop! We have 8 baby chicks currently, but I’m hoping to build for potential growth. I’m excited to get moving.

Here’s the site:
113CAACA-382B-4376-87E0-C29DE4F971B3.jpeg

Left of the chain link fence is our yard. The right edge of the privacy fence behind us marks our property line. That is 7ft from shed to property line.
Here is a scaled before drawing:
coop_topView_original.jpg

Yes, the neighbors fence behind us is technically on our property.
Here is the planned layout:
coop_topView_5.jpg

The plan so far is to move the wood and compost bins, and make a roofed & enclosed 7’ x 13’ area. Along the property line, add 13’+ of a privacy fence as one ‘wall’ of the coop. The chain link fence will be shortened to meet up with the coop corner. The front would be built to be attractive. The left most wall between the shed and front corner of the coop would be mostly simple frame with hardware cloth. Hardware cloth would be buried around the perimeter and also framed in anywhere else needed to seal the entire area.

I saw a video where a shallow compost system was used to feed the chickens as the chickens work the compost. I like it so would like to try it unless anyone has good reasons not to.
There would be no inner ‘coop’ building to start but figured we could always build one in if it was ever necessary.

Narrow roost in order to be able to easily turn the compost underneath. Also extra high roosting space in the corner that could hopefully easily be worked under as well.

Hoping to also build a platform for a rain catching barrel and set up some PVC pipe drinking system.

Probably set up a feed bin or some storage above the 14x14 nesting boxes mounted on the wall of the shed to keep them from perching on top of the boxes.

Will figure out an area for a dust bathing box too.
Here is one possible layout for the front:
coop_frontView3.jpg

This would be a pretty a open/ventilate design and a bare dirt/compost floor. But is it too open? Concerns there? We live in Central Illinois zone 6. So it gets cold but not in the negatives all that often.
Also feedback on the compost idea or other tips or suggestions in general??

We will let them in the yard to free range some too. So there will be a chicken door into the yard somewhere as well.

The privacy fence could eventually be extended all the way to the front of the house as well to create a nice big space for more free range or larger batch of broilers.

Thanks all!!

Some additional details - as far as breeds: we have 2 of each: astralorps, road island reds, barred rocks, and polish.

In the drawings, North is to the right. The door in and the shed are on the South side. Let me know if any additional details are helpful.

I’ve been reading up on other design threads and learning - but nothing to rule out my ideas so far as completely crazy.

Any input is appreciated. One concern is the bare floor. I’m guessing the grass won’t stay for long. So I read that people use grass clippings or straw mainly. Do those ‘floorings’ typically just compost themselves into the dirt? Or are they something you have to clean out regularly?

Also - does anyone know if composting in this way would stink/smell? Here’s the video that I mentioned about composting system. Any thoughts?

Nice layouts, don't have time right now to look them over closely.
First impressions tho....
Are there set back issues with building a coop in your municipality?
Even if there aren't, putting a structure so close to fences and buildings can make for problems maintaining both fences and buildings....and removes possibility of large roof overhangs which is good to protect ventilation, especially in cold climate winters.
...and securing chicken area against predators.

Good examples of anti-dig apron installation:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC!
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-6-12_9-58-42.png

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC!
Thanks aart! And for the links and info. That's the first I've seen of the no dig skirts - that's good. I'll have to use that idea where possible (basically where my property line isn't the edge of the coop.)

As far as setbacks: there's no property line setback - only minimum distances from neighboring houses. I'll be talking with my closest neighbor soon about our plans and make sure they are okay with the plans before I start digging.

Point noted about maintaining fences and building exteriors. Since the fences and building will basically BE the walls of the coop that is a problem. So just to clarify - the wall areas near where chickens can get up on something (like the roosts) is the main concern, correct? I'm assuming other walls remain 'relatively' poop free as long as they can't get up on things near it?

I will have to account for this though... especially concerning my side of the neighbor owned fence!

I will aslo be considering your comment on the overhangs protecting vented areas as I build and place vents. That also makes me consider my fence-walls. I think I will have to consider covering the 'walls'/fence with some painted 1/4" material of some sort. This would be dual purpose: 1) to block any wind/weather and 2) protect the fencing in those areas near the roosting bars or other areas they can get up on.

That's all good input. Keep it coming please!! :)

I like the open concept coop idea.

I too worry about putting it ON the property line.

Since that is both coop and run.... I think that is s lovely size for 6 chickens.. .... I guess 8 will be OK,but that is maximum unless you add on a run.

Chiming in for the overhang, I'm using a shed the previous property owner built, and it is a 'lean-to' sort of roof. he left NO overhang and we get a lot of blowing rain, so the siding
needs repainting more than I like and there is no room for any ventilation. I am replacing it this summer.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Chiming in for the overhang, I'm using a shed the previous property owner built, and it is a 'lean-to' sort of roof. he left NO overhang and we get a lot of blowing rain, so the siding
needs repainting more than I like and there is no room for any ventilation. I am replacing it this summer.
I will definitely plan to add more overhang on the front edges.

After looking at others, the Wood's Coop design sparked some interest. In those designs, the enclosure has vents mainly in the front, and the back is all enclosed. Since I can't really do much overhang on a roof in the back, I could plan on just enclosing that entire back end without any vents in the back wall. I'd also plan to cover both privacy fence walls with something to protect them and prevent moisture from entering.

This would be an updated diagram with some roof overhang. Additionally a different roost format. This type of format may be easier to work around to turn compost. These roosts would be around 4' off the ground.
coop_topView6.jpg
Front view might be something like:
coop_frontView4.jpg

I'm really not sure overhang on that south side (left) roof is going to do much on a side that is completely open?

I too worry about putting it ON the property line.

Since that is both coop and run.... I think that is s lovely size for 6 chickens.. .... I guess 8 will be OK,but that is maximum unless you add on a run.

As far as being right ON the property line, I understand. I guess my thought process is that really all the neighbor sees is not a shed or a chicken coop, but a privacy fence. And that's probably better than the current view of a wood pile and compost bins! haha. I will discuss it with my neighbor and see if he has any issues with it.

Good input on the capacity. We do hope to let them in the main yard as much as we can (time dependent on how well we can get the dogs trained and trusted with them) - and eventually would like to extend the privacy fence and give them a nice big run area!

Attachments

• coop_frontView4.jpg
    coop_frontView4.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
After looking at others, the Wood's Coop design sparked some interest. In those designs, the enclosure has vents mainly in the front, and the back is all enclosed.
But it does have other operable windows for summer and depends on certain building proportions.
If you want the Woods effect, build a Woods coop, don't try to simulate it.

I guess my thought process is that really all the neighbor sees is not a shed or a chicken coop, but a privacy fence.
Maybe, but they will hear and probably smell them.

Not feeling the whole composting part of this.
It's pretty hard to balance a good compost pile,
and IMO it's not a thing to do inside a chicken coop.
Especially in a such a narrow closed in space.

I think you're missing the point of roof overhangs.
You want them all around the coop roof, so the open soffits will provide year round ventilation, and to shed rain way from walls especially those with window ventilation.
upload_2019-6-12_17-36-1.png

Back
Top Bottom