Should I assist???????

FaithWalkFarms

Songster
11 Years
Feb 17, 2013
Aggieland, Texas
15 of our 18 eggs hatched yesterday. Of the three left, I thought only one had pipped -- I just pulled out the oldest and completely dry babies because it was getting crazy in there and a bantam egg was getting knocked around like crazy.

I discovered one of the eggs that I thought had NOT pipped had, but the hole was upside down and that open area had been sitting in some gunk and had gotten stuck to the floor. I pried it up, not realizing it was a pipped area/shell bits and membrane that were glued down.

It is now right side up and I can see the chick breathing but I have no idea how long the chick had been like that, etc. I am just watching it now but when should I make the call that it is time to help?

15 of our 18 eggs hatched yesterday. Of the three left, I thought only one had pipped -- I just pulled out the oldest and completely dry babies because it was getting crazy in there and a bantam egg was getting knocked around like crazy.

I discovered one of the eggs that I thought had NOT pipped had, but the hole was upside down and that open area had been sitting in some gunk and had gotten stuck to the floor. I pried it up, not realizing it was a pipped area/shell bits and membrane that were glued down.

It is now right side up and I can see the chick breathing but I have no idea how long the chick had been like that, etc. I am just watching it now but when should I make the call that it is time to help?
If you are willing to do an assist, and the circumstances are right, then yes! One of my best girls is a perfectly healthy 1 year old now and an excellent egg layer that I assisted and who would not have hatched if she had not been. As a matter of fact, since I started hatching, I have only lost one chick that was an assist.

Now, it's been a few hours, so what's happened with the little guy?

If you are willing to do an assist, and the circumstances are right, then yes! One of my best girls is a perfectly healthy 1 year old now and an excellent egg layer that I assisted and who would not have hatched if she had not been. As a matter of fact, since I started hatching, I have only lost one chick that was an assist.

Now, it's been a few hours, so what's happened with the little guy?

I ended up making the decision to assist -- took the top part of shell, above air cell. There were absolutely no veins but the membrane had started to dry and the chick/egg did NOT smell good. Put her back in and upped the humidity. She ended up wiggling out but almost acted like she was in shock. Laid on her side, breathing fast, and leg shook like crazy.

It took an hour or two before she moved and really started chirping. She has a section of membrane dried to her back and she doesn't walk yet. I think her toes are curled -- have been trying to give her some more time to strengthen before giving her some shoes to straighten her toes. She flops all over and cries loudly ... I haven't tried electrolytes yet but I may

I ended up making the decision to assist -- took the top part of shell, above air cell. There were absolutely no veins but the membrane had started to dry and the chick/egg did NOT smell good. Put her back in and upped the humidity. She ended up wiggling out but almost acted like she was in shock. Laid on her side, breathing fast, and leg shook like crazy.

It took an hour or two before she moved and really started chirping. She has a section of membrane dried to her back and she doesn't walk yet. I think her toes are curled -- have been trying to give her some more time to strengthen before giving her some shoes to straighten her toes. She flops all over and cries loudly ... I haven't tried electrolytes yet but I may
I would definitely try the electrolytes, sandle the foot and you can use some warm water to rub off the membranes, just makes sure she doesn't get a chill.

Take it out,i have to do it regularly,you have nothing to lose,even hatcheries say if it doesent come out in 12 to 18 hours help it out.Thats better than them being dead the next morning like happens to me,it is probally the humdinty in my incubator,ive only had one die helping it out,cause I pulled the cord off.this one was helped out,was shrink wrappedthis one was helpedboth of these almost every one of these.The last time they were almost out,i left them like every one says,they were both dead next morning,..Now I watch them closely,if they are in trouble I help.Ive gotten real good at it Id rather not do it ,but i got tired of dead chicks half out.Videos are on you tube how to do it and when.Maybe every one else has better humidity control and or incubators.I also have same trouble with my texas a and m,s. Good luck,if it keeps happening as with me,try helping after you think it is in trouble.Im not experienced like every one else on here,but ive been doing 3 incubators full time,every day since last September.I hope my new gennis cures my problem.this one also,membrane had shrunk away from shell,he could only make the one hole,i left him in back half of shell for a while

Last edited:
ON computer,type in (when to help chick out},it has plenty of videos and answers.One really good one on you tube.Good luck

Last edited:
Take it out,i have to do it regularly,you have nothing to lose,even hatcheries say if it doesent come out in 12 to 18 hours help it out.Thats better than them being dead the next morning like happens to me,it is probally the humdinty in my incubator,ive only had one die helping it out,cause I pulled the cord off.this one was helped out,was shrink wrappedthis one was helpedboth of these almost every one of these.The last time they were almost out,i left them like every one says,they were both dead next morning,..Now I watch them closely,if they are in trouble I help.Ive gotten real good at it Id rather not do it ,but i got tired of dead chicks half out.Videos are on you tube how to do it and when.Maybe every one else has better humidity control and or incubators.I also have same trouble with my texas a and m,s. Good luck,if it keeps happening as with me,try helping after you think it is in trouble.Im not experienced like every one else on here,but ive been doing 3 incubators full time,every day since last September.I hope my new gennis cures my problem.this one also,membrane had shrunk away from shell,he could only make the one hole,i left him in back half of shell for a while
Are you getting the Hovabator 1588?

Not bad for one morning,chuckars are laying also.I have gennis full of quail,chuckars and silkies

I have 2 now

If I can stay out hospital with my heart,maybe I can keep humidity up the last 3 days.Ive been in hospital last 2 hatchs until last day or so.I just need some eggs,my daughters mad at me wont bring me any more and I don't want any more quail,although my chuckars are laying now.I just parked the little giants.I think I did worse after I put the fan in one.Any one close to Pensacola,2 free little giants.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom