Should I buy extra bags of food

Paz

Crowing
Jul 15, 2022
The Middle East
Hello,
So there’s a bit of a conflict going on, and the army has instructed citizens to pack on supplies.
Would it be an ok idea to get an extra bag of feed for my flock?
My concern is that the feed would go bad. They come in 25kg bags, and I have 12 chicken fowls and 3 pigeon pairs. The pigeons mostly get their own food.
Also, is it a good idea to keep a large tank of water in case water supplies suddenly cut? And if so, how do I keep the water fresh?

Thank you very much!

Hello,
So there’s a bit of a conflict going on, and the army has instructed citizens to pack on supplies.
Would it be an ok idea to get an extra bag of feed for my flock?
My concern is that the feed would go bad. They come in 25kg bags, and I have 12 chicken fowls and 3 pigeon pairs. The pigeons mostly get their own food.
Also, is it a good idea to keep a large tank of water in case water supplies suddenly cut? And if so, how do I keep the water fresh?

Thank you very much!
If you store the food in air tight containers, it won’t go bad. I buy food in bulk once a year.
I don’t know how to safely store water, but maybe installing a gutter system onto your roof would help collect rain water? At the same time, you would have trouble keeping that water clean.
Sending prayers your way!

If you store the food in air tight containers, it won’t go bad. I buy food in bulk once a year.
I don’t know how to safely store water, but maybe installing a gutter system onto your roof would help collect rain water? At the same time, you would have trouble keeping that water clean.
Sending prayers your way!
Thanks mate, I think my boss has a vacuum sealing device, I'll lend it from him. :)
Also, I'm pretty sure we'll be fine.

Water can be kept safe to drink for years by putting clean water into clean containers. Then add a little unscented bleach. The goal is 3-4 parts per million (test strips for swimming pools can measure accurately enough. This is a drop or two per liter if your bleach is 5-9% sodium hydrochlorite -sodium hypochlorite but the percentage commonly available is different in different parts of the world.

You will find very widely differing amounts recommended. This is because bleach comes in different concentrations. Also, because some sources talk about treating water from unknown sources and other people take those amounts without understanding the details.

Then store the sealed container in a dark, cool place.

It will not be "fresh" water - it will get very flat - but it will be safe to drink for years.

You can make it more pleasant to drink by pouring back and forth between containers or stirring to get oxygen back into it. Splashing gets it in faster. Or add a shake of salt.

If the chlorine is too strong when you are ready to drink it, the water can be left open to the air or poured back and forth between containers until it isn't too strong anymore. If you can't smell it, it is still safe; the bleach turned into oxygen and salt.

Edited to correct the chemical name of common bleach.

Last edited:
Hey there! Extra feed for your flock is a good idea, but yeah, 25kg bags can spoil if not used quickly. Consider airtight containers. A large tank of water's smart, just change it periodically to keep it fresh. Stay safe!

Back
Top Bottom