Temporary diet until I can get more food (4 bags of Purina Flock Raiser from store stinks and full of bugs)?

Cinnaminute

Songster
Aug 19, 2022
Georgia, USA
Hey guys, it's been a rough couple months. Truck's been breaking down and each time it's fixed, something goes wrong again immediately. Been some botched repairs too so that hasn't helped.

Anyway, Oct 24th I made an order with TSC for same day delivery of two bags of Purina Flock Raiser and some straw. I was getting low on food and truck is down. I get the bags and a few days later I start dipping into the one. It stunk a bit and was darker brown. I fed it to them for a couple days anyway despite my concerns (bad me) but today when I went to make them some warm porridge with it, I found all these maroon colored tiny beetle things? There's also webbing of some sort in the feed. I find stuff that reminds me of candy necklaces, only with crumbles and web instead. :sick

I decided to open the other bag I had bought and that one was putrid as well and the bugs were so bad I could see them just crawling on the surface.

Stupid me decided today to make a new order. I can't return the feed until the truck is fixed but my girls need food and I already feel bad for them having eaten what they already have. I know they eat bugs, but I also know that the feed was compromised. It should NOT smell like that. And maybe I just got unlucky and got some old bags at the bottom of the pile.

Nope! The two bags arrived today and same situation. Stinky, buggy, disgusting. I don't know how old this feed is, but the good feed I finished off in October was ordered back in July of this year from the same TSC and both of those bags were fine. I only have 7 pullets and when I ordered in July they were barely a month old so they weren't eating a lot. Those bags sat around in my home until they were finished late October. If the 4 bad bags were from the same July stock, they would've still been good so these must be a lot older or not well stored.

So now I have over $200 of bad feed that I have to wait to return (no way am I tossing it when I spent $40 in shipping for nothing and thankfully they offer 30 day returns so here's hoping the truck's repairs are finished in time). There's a feed store near me (closer than TSC) but they charge $30 to deliver. Didn't even think to look for feed stores around here until now. My mistake.

Anyway, sorry for jabbering, I'm so mad. I was trying to stock up because I know my situation and my funds are limited so this really burns my biscuits. Sweet girls need to eat! So for the real question here: What can I feed my pullets here at home for a week until I can get them some of their Purina feed? I give romaine, blueberries, carrots, and so on as treats but wondering what foods make a good actual replacement. They need protein. I don't have much bugs on hand but would tuna be okay? If you guys think their feed is still safe (but it STINKS so bad!) I'll still feed them some, but I'd rather not give them very much if I can help it.

Thanks for any suggestions! Just need them to get by for a week.

Tuna, though expensive, is fine. The problem with tuna is A) its expensive, B) its often packed in oil (more fat they don't need), and C) its salty - even when no salt is added. As are all saltwater fish. Be sure to keep plenty of fresh water on hand.

Dry cat food is also an acceptable (brief) substitute. I don't know what else you might have on hand, but whole wheat, buckwheat, and sorghum can all be used to stretch a diet, and are better (in differing ways) than corn or rye.

Thank you both so much for the suggestions! Sadly only dog food and ferret kibble on hand. I do have some oats and plenty of veggies. Also yeah, that's what bothers me about the tuna is the salt.

I might be able to get a ride in a couple days so there's that at least!

@3KillerBs I called the store but they just said to bring the bags into the store for a full refund. I explained the situation but the guy didn't have much else to say other than "you have 30 days". I looked up the online refund process and the only options are in store or UPS (can't get down there either sadly).

@3KillerBs I called the store but they just said to bring the bags into the store for a full refund. I explained the situation but the guy didn't have much else to say other than "you have 30 days". I looked up the online refund process and the only options are in store or UPS (can't get down there either sadly).

Did you manage to speak to a manager?

Did you threaten to post their failure to make good on your order on social media -- naming the store and telling the entire story? Or doing the same to a local TV news channel's consumer advocate?

I've used dog food for a short term emergency-Purina Lamb and rice and my chickens did fine.

Purina One Lamb & Rice. For those interested

Guaranteed Analysis​

NutrientsAmount
Crude Protein (Min)26.0%
Crude Fat (Min)16.0%
Crude Fiber (Max)3.0%
Moisture (Max)12.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min)1.4%
Calcium (Ca) (Min)1.0%
Phosphorus (P) (Min)0.8%
Zinc (Zn) (Min)150 mg/kg
Selenium (Se) (Min)0.35 mg/kg
Vitamin A (Min)13,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (Min)250 IU/kg
Glucosamine* (Min)350 ppm
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (Min)1.6%

The fat is the big concern long term, and it would be nice to know the amino profile of the protein, but nothing else on the list raises eyebrows a likely source of concern. Since its first ingredient is lamb, and it also contains chicken by-product meal and soy meal, chances are quite good it hits the desired figures. If only they left this stuff "beef fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols" out. And yes, they use L-Lysine and DL-Methionine as well (and a tiny amount of dried peas) - all good things.
@Cinnaminute if the back of your dog food nutrition label looks largely like the above, I needn't review it - you can safely use it for a brief period.

The fat levels are concerning, but they are no more dangerous in the near term than getting fat and happy on Turkeyday, a second beverage on Saturdays, or a birthday with cake and ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom