Temporary diet until I can get more food (4 bags of Purina Flock Raiser from store stinks and full of bugs)?

TSC, unfortunately, is (justly) famed for having back of house inventory problems. NOTHING to do with the store level handling (generally), but rather with the local distribution center not following FIFO (First In, First Out) principles on their feed.

At least, that's the case locally. How do I know? While I don't usually buy feed at TSCs, I do read the labels - and when what is stocked this month was produced earlier in the year than what was stocked last month... Math doesn't lie. and my local store doesn't have the space to backstock much feed, nor does their sister store. But If I cross the border into Alabama (different distribution hub), no issues.

Call them! They need to come get them and bring good bags at their expense!! Now!! Call Purina and tell them what you have, call everyone! The local paper and the store! Everyone!

If you are too shy to advocate for yourself then keep the hens in your head and call on their behalf. (I am shy about advocating for myself, I know your pain)

If that is still too painful, then reach out to me (or someone who will do this for you) and have me/them call for you. I am shy for myself but a dragon slayer when it is for someone else.

Last edited:
I have to chime in, the Purina food that I've been buying for the last two years has dropped in quality, two months ago, first bag had bugs and beetles, second bag was stale, it reeked. The next two bags were also starting to go stale. I've switched to a local mill. I don't know if they're not turning over inventory but their feed has been terrible 😢

You don't have to wait for the truck to be fixed to get them proper feed. You can order online at Amzn or chewy, etc.
On Amzn the earliest ship day if you order today is Monday.

Amazon - Manna Pro Feed
There are bigger bags and different brands if you do a search for Chicken Feed.

My great grandmother never fed her chickens, other than a few scraps here and there every now and then. She lived during the Great Depression and free ranged 100%. With that said, since it's only a week, you can feed them just about anything you have on hand as long as it isn't toxic, too processed, too full of sugar or salt. If you have egg layers, you have all the calcium and protein you need for that small amount of time. Just let them free range.

Please no "poo-poos" from the poo-poo audience. 😜 😂

My great grandmother never fed her chickens, other than a few scraps here and there every now and then. She lived during the Great Depression and free ranged 100%. With that said, since it's only a week, you can feed them just about anything you have on hand as long as it isn't toxic, too processed, too full of sugar or salt. If you have egg layers, you have all the calcium and protein you need for that small amount of time. Just let them free range.

Please no "poo-poos" from the poo-poo audience. 😜 😂
I agree with you!

Back
Top Bottom