Temporary diet until I can get more food (4 bags of Purina Flock Raiser from store stinks and full of bugs)?

Purina One Lamb & Rice. For those interested

Guaranteed Analysis​

NutrientsAmount
Crude Protein (Min)26.0%
Crude Fat (Min)16.0%
Crude Fiber (Max)3.0%
Moisture (Max)12.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min)1.4%
Calcium (Ca) (Min)1.0%
Phosphorus (P) (Min)0.8%
Zinc (Zn) (Min)150 mg/kg
Selenium (Se) (Min)0.35 mg/kg
Vitamin A (Min)13,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (Min)250 IU/kg
Glucosamine* (Min)350 ppm
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (Min)1.6%

The fat is the big concern long term, and it would be nice to know the amino profile of the protein, but nothing else on the list raises eyebrowss a likely source of concern. SInce its first ingredient is lamb, and it also contains chicken by-product meal and soy meal, chances are quite good it hits the desired figures. If only they left this stuff "beef fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols" out. And yes, they use L-Lysine and DL-Methionine as well (and a tiny amount of dried peas).
It was only short term for an emergency situation (mud slide/flood). It was either that or they would have starved. They really liked it-no diarrhea-and seemed content.

It was only short term for an emergency situation (mud slide/flood). It was either that or they would have starved. They really liked it-no diarrhea-and seemed content.
Now that I've looked it up, if I was desperate, I would do it to, for days or weeks (not months). But my cat food is higher protein still, and lower fat - so my first choice would be mixing cat food with some of the grains I always have on hand to reduce protein and fat at the same time.

Now that I've looked it up, if I was desperate, I would do it to, for days or weeks (not months). But my cat food is higher protein still, and lower fat - so my first choice would be mixing cat food with some of the grains I always have on hand to reduce protein and fat at the same time.
What brand of cat food?

This stuff???

Fat concerns again, long term.

Guaranteed Analysis​

NutrientsAmount
Crude Protein (Min)34.0%
Crude Fat (Min)13.0%
Crude Fiber (Max)3.0%
Moisture (Max)12.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min)1.25%
Arachidonic Acid (Min)0.03%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.1%
Phosphorus (P) (Min)1.0%
Vitamin A (Min) 10,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (Min)250 IU/kg
Taurine (Min)0.15%

First few ingredients -
Chicken, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, rice, soybean meal

Should have no problems with your aminos, the question is only what to mix it with to get the protein and fat levels down to target without ruining the aminos. I'd have to go thru the ingredient list and make some guesses about relative inclusion rates, but at a guess, I'd be mixing 1 part of this cat food to two or even three parts of other ingredients like rolled oats, brown rice, barley and corn.

This stuff???

Fat concerns again, long term.

Guaranteed Analysis​

NutrientsAmount
Crude Protein (Min)34.0%
Crude Fat (Min)13.0%
Crude Fiber (Max)3.0%
Moisture (Max)12.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min)1.25%
Arachidonic Acid (Min)0.03%
Calcium (Ca) (Min)1.1%
Phosphorus (P) (Min)1.0%
Vitamin A (Min)10,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (Min)250 IU/kg
Taurine (Min)0.15%

First few ingredients -
Chicken, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, rice, soybean meal

Should have no problems with your aminos, the question is only what to mix it with to get the protein and fat levels down to target without ruining the aminos. I'd have to go thru the ingredient list and make some guesses about relative inclusion rates, but at a guess, I'd be mixing 1 part of this cat food to two or even three parts of other ingredients like rolled oats, brown rice, barley and corn.
Bookmarked. Thanks, for in a bind.

@3KillerBs - Tomorrow I'm going to be calling them again and see if I can talk to a manager. I do intend on leaving a review. I'd hate for other people to end up buying this and ending up in the same situation (and they probably already have).

@U_Stormcrow - I have Purina Dog Chow Complete Adult. Mostly identical, though percentages are a little less all over the board except for Crude Fiber being a tad higher (and no Glucosamine or Omega 6s) so I'll definitely give it a try since it's such a short term. Thank you for the info! I deeply appreciate it!

Thank you everyone so so much!

@3KillerBs - Tomorrow I'm going to be calling them again and see if I can talk to a manager. I do intend on leaving a review. I'd hate for other people to end up buying this and ending up in the same situation (and they probably already have).

They've delivered bad product TWICE without actually remedying it.

Don't be afraid to play hardball to get full compensation, immediate replacement with good product, and, if possible, more.

And if they don't then don't be afraid to spread the news, naming names and giving them as much negative publicity as you can manage in order to protect others.

Good news! This morning the manager was in. I spoke with him and he gave me the number for their customer solutions. I spoke with a lady and she set up the refund as well as an order for 2 bags of food. As per the store manager's suggestion, having them send Dumor All Flock. I asked him if he could cut those bags open and check for me, haha, and he said they will.

Thank you all again so much for the help, advice, etc! Looks like I won't have to feed them dogfood, tuna, and oats for very long! Just a couple days total. Woohoo!!

I also did give the manager the product number on the bags so he can check things out. He said they haven't had any reports of issues so hopefully I'm the first and last.

Back
Top Bottom