Should I Get a Ayam Cemani or Svart Hona?

I've been around both cemani and svarts, and I personally like the svarts better.
Overall the Svarts (Swedish Blacks) have a better temperament, are less gamey in appearance, and lay quite a few more eggs compared to Ayam Cemani.
Both breeds are pretty flighty, and as far as "blackness" they are almost identical. I've also found the svarts to be extremely hardy birds. No added heat in the winter time, and they do fine in the sweltering south Georgia heat in the summer.
They really are a fun breed to raise. I've been breeding Svarts for a little over 3 years now!

Last edited:
Poppster, I don't think that even the two black ones you have are pure, unfortunately. Bobfarm never posts pictures of purebred birds and I would think if he had them he would. In the ayam cemani thread I mentioned earlier we dug up the picture he uses to sell eggs on eBay in its non edited form since he posted it somewhere else and the rooster is clearly a mix, as we all suspected when he first showed us his touched up pictures claiming they weren't touched up and that his birds were pure.

Dear Pyxis, Thank you...I had kinda figured there would be a catch to it....I knew that he was full of it..when he said they were the Wild Strain...but ya gotta live and learn...that's what I get for trusting...my little Wild Easter Egg hen is very happy with her...little wild strain babies...they all hatched...that more then I can say about the Salomon F...eggs I received...oh well guess I learned my lesson...I had broody hens and wanted a Few different breeds to add to the family...don't have room for 15-25 more birds...thought I'd satisfy the broodys and add the birds, without over crowding...so she goes.

Got a question for you...where can I get some Black Swedish hat hatching eggs....I'm sure chicks would cost a small fortune...I don't sell my birds...they are pets...After losing my significant other of 10 yrs...and experiencing a three year long stay in the black hole of depression...I needed something that needed me...something that I couldn't ignore....something that got me off the couch and outside...besides my full-time job...so I decided to get some chickens again...Best thing I've done in years....I call them my Therapy Birds...they have worked wonders...I love my Birds...thanks for the information I will just have to Pretend that my little Hybrid Mutt Chicks are real AC and just be glad I got something out of the money I spent...oh and sorry for personal blurt.

I love my AC boy. He is so curious, gentle and friendly. Don't have an AC girl but hav read that they are not good layers at all.

In my country , cemani chicken imported few year ago >
Price very high ( over 2000usd ) and some breeders was cheating with a black Chiness breed - name is Hacphong ( In english : black wind )
Baby chick can not unidentified

But can recornize the adult with comb not 100% black

Back
Top Bottom