Should I help this chick hatch or it is ok?

No I haven't tried that yet.

Ever since that yolk sac ruptured he immediately became more active. Before, he just laid around and kinda pushed along the floor to move around. It was immediately after that sac ruptured that he wanted to stand all of a sudden. Which is great! If he really is improving (which would be a miracle to say the least) then rupturing that sac was the best thing that could have happened because all that runny green goo drained out. Then Jas cut the sac off so unless that infection was also in his blood stream that would have totally gotten rid of it. hopefully the anti-biotic we have would fight off anything else. Its water soluble (its Duramycin) When I came in to check on him this morning he was alert and had his eyes open.. until then they were shut like 99% of the time. He turned his head when I walked in and focused on my face so thats an improvement as well!! He has been thru a lot so if he pulls thru it should make the news!! lol

If he hangs in there and continues to improve i'll try offering him crumbled egg yolk and chick start. :)

and yes i did get some sleep! Slept from 4 to 6 and then about 6:30 till 8. As soon as Payton is ready for a nap I'm taking one too!

Last edited:
OH MY GOSH YA'LL!!!
celebrate.gif
<--- (I love it when i get to use this one!)

After taking his antibiotics mixed with boiled egg yolk, I moved Lil Man and the other chick that hatched after him into a box because they were both getting so active I didnt want them to be able to get out of the sink (thats where I had them on a towel) and possibly fall off the vanity top to the floor.. once I did the other one started pecking at the ground so I put some game bird starter in there (i just buy that cause both my lil turkeys and chicken chicks can have it) and it started eating it.
Then so did Lil Man!! I was so surprised! and what made it even better is he pooped!!! That means Jas got his intestines back in without causing any trauma to them or creating any kinks! And I know they're ok since after the rupture because it wasn't the typical green poop new chicks pass but it was yellow like the egg yolk i fed him late last night :)
woot.gif

I'm officially set up for heartbreak because I cant HELP but be excited!!! My hopes are up and i cant talk myself out of it! lol
love.gif

I just checked on him again and he's trying to weasel his way into the middle of and under the other chicks for a nap :) (I put some of his litter mates in the box with him so he could watch them peck at the chick starter and drink the water.) Haven't seen him do that on his own yet.. but when I was giving him the antibiotics with the syringe, he was pecking at the end of it and getting more. :)
clap.gif

Now If only that area where we tied his belly back up heals up fine and no infection sets in.. then he should be good to go!

High hopes guys! Cant help but to be happy!
wee.gif

Last edited:
well.. just remember. he's not out of danger yet... so don't get your hopes TOO high.. but yeah.. so far it sounds pretty good

did you try carefully dipping his beak into the water? (dont want to put too much stress on his lil belly right now.. but he does need to learn to drink)

No. I can get him some yogurt though or the Kifer? (whats kifer?) so just plain yogurt? How much and how often does he need it?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Kefir is a fermented milk drink.. really good for getting all the happy bacteria in ya (it has a lot of health benefits as well).. you have to start with "Kefir grains" though to make your own.. and it is an acquired taste.. kinda like a thin yogurt... but the taste also changes depending on how long you leave it to ferment

since you don't have any.. yogurt will work just fine.. I would wait til he's off the antibiotics, then just give him a little either mixed in with his chick starter or thinned down with some water with an eyedropper (which ever way he'll eat it)... the idea is to replenish the gut bacteria that the antibiotic killed off.. probably feeding it to him just once a day, two or three days in a row should be sufficient.. since he's tiny he won't need much for each serving

Help Me! I had a very strong peep 24 hours ago and now only a very faint peep when I candled. Being that my humidity may have not been correct I don't know what to do. I did poke a very small hole in the side of the air sac so that it wouldn't suffocate. I don't know if I should dig more and see if it is shrink wrapped or give it a bit longer.

I so wish I had had this thread to work with last week. I've helped chicks out, but not all make it and it's just a chance I take.

I had great hatches for a long time. Then went through a period of NOTHING hatching. Back to at least good hatches and my last hatch the humidy went way up and ended up with all of them dead. Even the ones I tried to help.

Back
Top Bottom