Should I help this chick hatch or it is ok?

Quote:
wow.. make me feel bad why dontcha! j/p. he could by some miracle NOT get an infection and then i kill him by overdosing him on Neo!

Quote:
wow.. make me feel bad why dontcha! j/p. he could by some miracle NOT get an infection and then i kill him by overdosing him on Neo!

lol.. well.. let me tell you a bit of wisdom my mother passed on to me.. "it will either kill him or cure him"

being from a pretty poor farm family they couldnt afford a vet.. so that was their way of trying new cures on their critters... quite a few worked (I still remember her shoving aspirin down the throat of a rooster with pneumonia .. when she called the vet he had no idea how to treat one.. that roo lived for several more years then one day keeled over with a heart attack.. hmmm.. in retrospect.. maybe she should have kept giving him the aspirin .. )

Quote:
i know! Thats my dilemma!

ooooh... i wonder about washing it with antibacterial dawn? and will the little cotton fibers from the towel he is lying on cause problems too? i keep trying to q-tip-and-water them off but because its a moist sac everything wants to stick :-/ ok i think im just gonna antibacterial soap it and try a big bandaid.. i will just leave it lose but hopefully it will atleast prevent some stuff from sticking to it..

Thats pretty funny about the rooster (should have kept up with the aspirin!..) ;-)

Last edited:
Quote:
i know! Thats my dilemma!

ooooh... i wonder about washing it with antibacterial dawn? and will the little cotton fibers from the towel he is lying on cause problems too? i keep trying to q-tip-and-water them off but because its a moist sac everything wants to stick :-/ ok i think im just gonna antibacterial soap it and try a big bandaid.. i will just leave it lose but hopefully it will atleast prevent some stuff from sticking to it..

Thats pretty funny about the rooster (should have kept up with the aspirin!..) ;-)

do you have betadine solution?.. that would be best for washing it

No I dont have anything like that.

Ok, heres my plan.. im going to wash it with saline solution then a light washing of antibacterial dawn, then im going to lay him on some wax paper or aluminum foil (he mostly just lays there and flops around occasionally but he isnt up and about to worry about slipping or sliding or spraddle leg.. atleast that will keep anything from sticking to it. I wish i had done this from the beginning (put him on wax paper or foil :-/to try to prevent any bacteria in the 1st place.

Alright, its done and now we can just hope for the best! i washed it with anti-bacterial dawn (btw it looks like most if not all of what i thought was cotton fibers was actually baby down from him..) then i rinsed with really good and rinsed it a final time with saline solution. i used cotton swabs with dawn for cleaning it.

ok.. still debating on the neo... because maybe it wont allow it to dry up since it stays moist on cuts? he hasnt obsorbed anymore i dont think :-/ i forgot about the sugar water so im doing that now. i also read you can give them either egg yolk or the egg whites from an egg... i cant remember which... do you know? Id like to feed him something in about half an hr since he didnt obsorb his nutrients properly to sustain him right now..

Last edited:
hard boiled egg yolks..
I doubt he will eat anything yet.. and he should be alright for at least a day. Make sure he isn't sticking to the foil/waxed paper.. if nothing else you can smear neosporin on the wax paper/foil right where his belly and the yolk sack lays so you know for sure he won't stick

the other "weak" one should be ok with just the sugar water.. so it's your call if you want to offer egg yolk

Well he got his foot caught in it and tore it open! This was about an hour ago. He's still hanging in there but I will be surprised if he makes it :-(

aww
hugs.gif
it happens.. i figured he was going to have problems when you mentioned his wing

Have one hatching right now and several rockers too. "lil man" (the one that ruptured his yolk sac) is actually doing way better than before. Jas clamped it close to his stomach and cut the rest of it off. I dont know if he hurts and thats why he is so active or if it made a difference and thats why. I have to mention though that when he ruptured it, lots of green goo came out- a definite infection!

everyone is terrific! mingling with all the other babies :)

Back
Top Bottom